GO!

Any pitties or pitty mix service dogs out there?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Zippo

Brilliant,- Beautiful Boxer

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 10:21am PST 
The local trainer that I highly respect has recommended I consider a pitty for a service dog. I am neither pro nor con to the idea, I just have never had a pitty before.
What I read in my research looks like they could be a great option with personality and proper training, which I will be getting.
Opinions please!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 11:06am PST 
If I remember correctly you're looking for a mobility dog. If that is the case the one concern with a pit/or pit mix is the height. A mobility dog should be at least 40% of your height and 50% of your weight. I don't know your height but often pit's and their mixes are very short for mobility use. A tall mobility handle can put undue stress on the dog and is very easy to torque and can easily injure a dog.

Another consideration to make with Pits and their mixes is that they are the target of BSL all across the US, if you plan to do any traveling during your SD's lifetime this is something you will want to think about. While service dogs are exempt from BSL that doesn't mean that an over zealous animal control officer can't seize your dog and have them put down before you have a chance to appeal the situation, it Has happened.

And last, you have to be really sure you're prepared to deal with the fall out and the increased access issues with a dog that is highly misunderstood by the public. It will happen, and you'll need to be prepared for it. A service dog s Never a good platform for your desire to make a statement about a breed. A service dog is a required piece of medical equipment and trying to raise service dog awareness is hard enough as it is.

I'm not saying a pit isn't a good idea, just that you need to weigh your options and what you're willing to deal with out of a dog. And make sure that you are prepared to deal with the situation, you're going to have a hard enough time as a first time handler dealing with the public, you need to be sure that you're ready to add 'handler of "evil" pitbull' to your list of things you'd have to handle.

On that note if you want any help trying to find a breed I'm also more than happy to help.
[notify]
Zippo

Brilliant,- Beautiful Boxer

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 6:55pm PST 
Thank you Happy and Happy's human. I appreciate your insight. I am blessed that pitties are actually pretty common and well raised in my area. I am looking into a lot of options and a trainer was sharing the success she had with a pittie so it got me thinking. I am leaning against the idea as a bigger dog would be better for me. Thanks again.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 8:20am PST 
Sadie is a American Bull dog if anyone knows better one of the breeds that make that breed has one breed in common with the Pit bull. I tell everyone that she is all bully witch is so.
I have had only a few hand filled people who know what she really is. Sometimes she is over reactive to stymulas, To counter at this I remove her her form this.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 8:39pm PST 
Ours is a pit/GSD mobility assist, seizure alert SD. He is tall (27" at the withers) and my daughter is 61" tall. He works really well for her. He's 90#, she's 110#. Yeah, he's a big fella. We wanted a bullie/mix for the temperament. She can be a little rough and tumble, so someone who was really sensitive was not a good match. He is a rescue - a "foster failure" at 17 months old. He is sweet, devoted, sensitive to her needs - but doesn't get his feelings hurt if after a seizure she pushes him away because she's confused, did I say devoted. Bears mentioning again lol. He will work beyond his regular (school) hrs very willingly. I know I'm rambling. Do we get funny looks because he looks like a really tall pibble? Yep. Does he rock at blocking, yep. There are some people that will actually give her a wider berth because of his "type",which is an advantage we never even contemplated. She has some pretty severe social anxiety. Does the occasional uninformed person make a rude comment? Yep. But, overall he is worth a million times more than the adverse reactions we've come across. He's a huge sweetheart, who has proven very eager to please.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 5:57am PST 
As i said in my last post Sadie is not considered a pitty but she has one of the pit breeds in her. She is a great SD and she is tall but not a large size in general. Just right for me on those days I need a good bear hug. Also on those days I just can't keep on my feet right. I am 4.11 and she comes to about just mid way up my thigh.
This is just right for me. She is very strong too and I am about 175lbs and loosing as I go. She has proven that she could walk all day and not get tiered, though I do so I have a few friends who don't have time or space for a big dog so they love to take sadie on the occational jog. She is just scarry enough for some and cute enough for others. Though if they really knew what she was like underneith they would not be so scared. Sadie is as her breed likes to say a big baby ( love bug). She is also a ham big time. She has had her moments a serious deffender though.
It just tells me if the time were to come I would know Sadie had my back. So I know she is strong enough for what ever the job requires. She would not hurt anyone less they possed a threat that is what counts to me.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 9:00pm PST 
We have had issues with the public, but no access issues. We've been told that we need to keep "that vicious monster at home", and "don't you know how dangerous they are". All you can do is accept the fact that, although freedom of speech is generally a good thing, some people have no filter. Not your fault, not your problem. Simple as that smile. Any dog who can do the necessary tasks, and behaves really well in public, can be a service dog with training. I heard a lady in the store one time fuming, loudly, about a labradoodle SD. She was disgusted that a dog was in the grocery. He was very well behaved, totally appropriate. There's always one somewhere lol.
[notify]
Beowulfs- Beauregard- CGC CGCA

What's too big- mean?

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 4:55pm PST 
My brother is a 1/2 american bulldog 1/2 pitt mix and was my Mom's 2nd service dog. He's 7 and getting cranky. He was a great service dog in his day, but a little on the short side for Mom who is 5' 10". The taller the handle, the more stress it puts on the dog as Mom found out the hard way. So if you need mobility, make sure the dog is the right size for you and the right temperament.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 4:22pm PST 
So I wanted to say this in my last post on here that I got sadie with the idea of what
her breeds would bring out. Sadie is taller then a pit but smaller and slimmer and liter then the breed she was suppose to repreazent. Sadie's parents were a ABD (american Bulldog) and a Bull mastiff. Sadie is smaller then both those breeds and I am short so though I had hoped Sadie would be like the mastiff I am not glad she is the way she is. Cause I am short and I got to dog sit for a mastiff and realized how tall they were. SHe dose though have the rugged stature of the Bull mastiff a plus in this compact breed.
[notify]