GO!

Force Free Trainer Help

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:43pm PST 
It's time to advance Mika's training and I'm finding that I need help. Unfortunately, all the trainers I can seem to find use corrections and choke or prong collars, which I'm really trying to stay away from. I'd prefer to be involved in the training but might consider board and train. Do you guys have any recommendations for force free trainers in the Kansas or Oklahoma area? I'd be willing to go to Nebraska or maybe even Texas too, actually.

Thanks!
[notify]
Homie

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 3:08pm PST 
Sorry, I don't have any trainer recommendations in your area. I would stay away from board and train facilities, from my experience most of them don't use force free techniques since they want to show fast results.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 3:14pm PST 
Your best bet first off is to check the pet partners website and look at their list of recognized service dog trainers.
[notify]

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 2:05pm PST 
Board and train is definitely not my first choice. I want to be involved in her training as much as possible.

I checked Pet Partners and found some good resources. I've contacted about 16 different trainers and now I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
[notify]
Nova

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:55pm PST 
Check out Karen Pryor Academy trainers. There is a link to trainers listed by state (I think) from the website. They are all force-free. (Which I completely support by the way!)
[notify]
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 10:31am PST 
I found a service dog organization in Oklahoma that sounds pretty good. They're called A New Leash On Life and they provide service dogs and service dog training at no cost and only use force free training methods. I actually got to meet one of their dogs by chance when we were traveling through Oklahoma for Christmas. Have y'all heard anything about them? I'm not finding anything negative or any red flags. I'm pretty excited. I really hope this all works out. I'll keep y'all updated.
[notify]