GO!

For those of you that use the train (specifically subway)

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 10:53am PST 
Hi all, I have yet to take Chaplin on the subway with me for fear that he is not ready. I do not want him to go on too soon and am worried I'll ruin his experience. When and how did you first introduce your SDiT to one?
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 3:23pm PST 
Basically, I started with taking her near buses and terminals. Then, with a mentor team, I took her on buses many times. She's fairly fearless, but this process took place over months.

Then I took her to the subway station many times without taking the train. Again, with a mentor team, we took our first short ride to a fun destination, and then quickly took it back. After that, I lengthened the time of the rides.
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:42am PST 
I have started to introduce Sun to it very gradually. The loud noise still makes him uncomfortable but we live right next to the tracks so he's been hearing it since the day he came home. I take him into the station and let him watch people and hear the noises, then take him to the platform and do the same. When I eventually board a train with him we will go to one stop and then get off. We need to practice the turnstiles too.
[notify]

Jethro

Everybody's- Friend

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 2:09pm PST 
It seems to me your over thinking this, sometimes you need to just do it and act like it's no big deal the dog will go along based on how you act. They just opened light rail where I live we did it the first time on opening day. We had to wait in line for 45 min. and the train was packed FULL. We took a seat Jethro laid under my legs while people petted him. For training to be worth anything it has to harder than what they are going to have to do day to day, what they need is a confident handler. It's true if your scared the dog is going to be scared if your confident the dog will be confident.Let people pet the dog that makes anything fun for them.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 2:25pm PST 
I'd have to say I disagree with that Jethro. I am not scared, I am simply taking into account my dog's learning process, boundaries, and stress levels. If you throw a dog into a situation before they are ready for it, it can cause big damages to their learning process and comfort with a situation.

Of course I am confident when we do things, but I also make sure I don't stress my dog. When we are out and about as soon as I see signs of stress we take a step back from the situation and I learn that we need to approach situation differently.

I'm glad that method has worked for your dog though.

Thanks Sun and Iris. He's fine with the sound, we sat under the el several times. I think tomorrow we'll make our way up to the platform and see how he does.
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 6:45pm PST 
Chaplin, if you ever want to do a training outing so the dogs can learn to work together and take cues from one another I'd be interested. You can PM me here or on facebook if that's something you might like to do.
[notify]
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:14pm PST 
I ride the subway daily with Sienna. I don't think she had any specific training with it, but she is totally cool on the train. If you can stand the best thing to do is to squish your dog in a heel between your legs and a wall or closed car door. They may feel more comfortable standing on the moving platform, or lying down (Sienna doesn't like to sit on the train, it is hard for her to balance). The noise is actually worst while in the station, not on the train itself, so maybe practice watching the trains from afar first?
[notify]