GO!

Laughing Eyes Kennels

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:40am PST 
The only dog I have met in person from LEK had HUGE fear issues, and had to be washed out/retired at around 3.

Of the 5 people I know who have gotten dogs from LEK, only two are still working, and one of them is Echo who has had some issues.

Edited by author Sun Jul 7, '13 11:41am PST

[notify]
Becker, CGC,- LEK-SD

Where will we go- today?

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 12:14pm PST 
Becker is an LEK dog but had to be retired due to extreme fear and anxiety issues. Although we tried everything suggested to us, nothing made a difference and his fears just became worse and worse. He was very stressed in public as well as at home. He had many things he was either afraid of or very uneasy about even from the very start. After trying for two years to retrain and desensitize him to his issues without much lasting improvement, we decided to retire him for his own best benefit. However, upon retirement he became worse and developed extreme separation anxiety to the point of injuring himself. We then were out of options other than to put him on medication. This helped him but we still had quite a long road to recovery for him. After we acquired another dog to start training, his anxieties started to effect the new dog. It was then decided that we needed to find another home for him. Luckily a very good friend of mine had been looking for a trained dog as a pet for several years. We had been there many times, so Becker knew them and their home. It ended up being a perfect match for him. I still have limited contact with him and have helped with his transition but he is now much happier without the pressure of my anxiety and issues causing him added stress.

Much of beckers failure I believe stems from his lack of early exposure to things service dogs encounter on a daily basis. He was not able to easily recover from being startled by things and became easily fearful of things that startled him. I also wonder if there is a genetic component as well because his full brother was washed out due to fear issues as well as a sister from that same litter. I also question LEKs ability to properly pick appropriate dogs for psych disabilities. They seem to often pick nervous, soft, emotionally needy dogs to be paired with clients who themselves have psych issues. I do believe that their ability to train a mobility dog is good, but I would not ever go with them again for a psych service dog.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 12:27pm PST 
When I read things like this concerning multiple dogs being affected by the same fear issues I have to wonder about the effects of neutering (either spaying or castrating) on a too young dog.
New research is pointing to an increasing number of fears and separation anxiety developing in dogs who undergo pediatric neuters... I myself have two dogs which were quite normal until about age three when both developed some serious fear issues, fears to things like car rides which they had previously enjoyed as well as some separation issues. Ironically BOTH of these dogs WERE pediatric neuters, one at 8 weeks the other at three months.
Obviously they would be neutering the dogs as young as possible to get on with their training so it would make one wonder if that wasn't at least a part of the problem.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 2:40pm PST 
Becker's handler, I am so sorry this happened. Thank you for sharing what you have learned. Best wishes.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2