GO!

Good breeds for diabetic alert dogs...

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:43pm PST 
Hey all, aside from the standard labs and goldens I'm just wondering what other breeds would work well for it. Breeds that are a little less protective than German Shepherds.

I was thinking Australian Shepherds could be really good and have a nice work ethic and I know there are a few in the termite finding business... Any other breeds with a good work ethic and a good nose?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:29pm PST 
Beagles!! Initial training can be a little more difficult but when you find what works they can't be beat!!!
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 11:36pm PST 
What about a lab German Shepherd cross? Tank's sister Belladonna seems to pick up on highs and lows in my blood sugar, that because I have no medical insurance I cant go to the doctor to find out about, on her own. She has a way of letting me know which one it is or even if its normal by sniffing my wrist or face and neck. If its a little low she will lick my wrist and hand until I grab something sweet to eat. If its high she will keep sniffing my wrist or if I am sitting on the floor she sniffs my face and neck. If its normal usually a quick sniff and she wanders off to get a toy.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:04am PST 
It largely depends on what your other needs are. I know of a handler with an Aussie DAD who does a wonderful job but you have to worry about the same nerve problems as you do with Border collies. Again, it depends on the particular handler's needs, the DAD portion would only require a dog who is good with it's nose and willing to work with the handler, the PA part is what would cause problems.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 11:04pm PST 
Any bree3d that can really use its nose. I don't suggest Beagles or hounds in general as most people don't have the patience to deal with them. They can be a handful and then some.
[notify]