GO!

how does one become a service dog?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jax

afraid of my own- shadow

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 6:26pm PST 
my tenants dog is a boxer/shepherd and within 2 weeks, she got him certfied "ONLINE" to be a service dog. he has his tags he wears.

I guess I expect the dog to have some kind of training or someone professional should determine if he is a service dog-not just something you can get off the internet!!
this dog jumps on people like crazy!!
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 7:32pm PST 
I don't have a service dog but even I can answer that question. No, you can not get a LEGAL certification online and yes, there are classes that have to be taken in order to get certification. This dog you speak of definitely would not qualify as a service dog as he seems to have pretty bad manners.
[notify]
Jax

afraid of my own- shadow

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 8:05pm PST 
should I report it and how could i do it annoymously?
[notify]

Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 10:36pm PST 
It really depends on where you live and the service dog laws and legislation in your area. Research the service dog laws in your area.

Here's what I found:

Title 17 – Crimes
Chapter 42 – Animal Welfare
17 § 1314-A. Misrepresentation of service dog.
A person who fits a dog with a harness, collar, vest or sign of the type commonly used by blind persons in order to represent that the dog is a service dog or commonly used by persons with disabilities to represent that the dog is a service dog when training of the type that guide dogs normally receive has not been provided or when the dog does not meet the definition of “service dog” as defined in section 1312 commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $500 may be adjudged.

Here is the Service dog licensing form of Maine, direct from the government website:
http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/aw/documents/ServiceDogVe rificationForm.pdf

If a dog does not preform a specific task or tasks for a disabled person, whether a mental or a physical, and are not trained to preform those specific tasks then they can not be considered a service dog. A service dog is well behaved and properly trained to fulfill the tasks needed by their handler. I have a friend who has a service dog, and even with the vest off, he is a very good dog with proper doggie manners.

At best, the dog could be considered an ESA, or Emotional Support Animal, which is NOT a service dog. An ESA does not have as many rights as a service dog, they can not go into stores, malls, restaurants, etc.
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 2:16am PST 
I'm more familiar with how the ADA works, for example if this were about access to a public place, you could ask the two allowed questions, "Is that a service dog required because of a disability?" and "What tasks or work does the dog perform to mitigate your disability?" As a landlord though I believe you are subject to the Fair Housing Act. I'm not sure if you're asking because they're asking to keep a dog in typical no pet housing, but honestly this sounds like an emotional support animal, not a service dog, if it is jumping all over people. ESAs are allowed in no housing though if the proper steps are taken. I helped my friend have her ESA in campus housing, and she had to get a letter of support from her therapist and put in a formal request BEFORE she brought her cat home. Two weeks is not enough time to properly train a service dog. I trained my own service dog and it took me two+ years. 18 months is a pretty average training time for a service dog. Most online certification places are a scam, and have absolutely no credibility, the ADA does not even require certification, nor does the FHA.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 5:18am PST 
As the others have said, online certification is a scam. Certification is not required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

However, as a landlord, you do have rights. The person with the animal ("Service Dog" or other) must be disabled and make a request for a reasonable accommodation.

Service Animals and Housing
http://www.petpartners.org/page.aspx?pid=489

Some info about SDs and ESAs and Housing-- very brief
http://www.state.ia.us/government/crc/docs/Factsheet%20Servic e%20Animals.pdf
[notify]
Jax

afraid of my own- shadow

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 5:24am PST 
ihave no probem witht the dog. i okayed for her to have a dog after living there 2 years.
I just wondered because he has no manners, poops in her house alot even though he has a back yard to poop in---doesnt sound very trained to me and he's a year old.

she told me she got the stuff online and calls him a service dog. her daughter has a heart problem but i dont even think she's labeled as disabled.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 3:29pm PST 
A service dog, whether owner-trained or trained by a program, goes through many many months of training. There is the disability mitigation training, there is the public access training...

It takes a lot of time to train a service dog and not all dogs make it through the training.

A piece of paper gained over the Internet does not make her dog a Service Dog. Successful training over many months of a dog with a suitable temperament makes a Service Dog.

Edited by author Tue Jul 2, '13 3:36pm PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:17am PST 
I went through a lot of hoops and red tapes to get to the point I am at now with my service dog.
But she is and has been tested by many people that train dogs. Though Sadie dose jump on people she dose not do it when she is in her vest and working in public.
I am working on her to not do it when off duty. I would never get certificates form online.
I use her ID I have made for her as emergentcy INFO.
[notify]
Jax

afraid of my own- shadow

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 11:05am PST 
so her certficate and the tag he wears is a false thing. no way t prove it?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2