GO!

Service Dog in HOV/carpool lane

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 10:52am PST 
Does anyone know if your service dog qualifies for being a second passenger so you can drive in the carpool lane? It may be a very stupid question but I have always wondered because my service dog is a extention of me seeing that she helps me so much so wondering if those would qualify her?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 3:32pm PST 
Not sure what to think about this since I dont drive?... that is a good question though.....
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 3:55pm PST 
I am pretty sure only humans count towards carpool/HOV lane minimums. You could doublecheck with your local area or state's DOT though.
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 3:57pm PST 
Oops double post

Edited by author Sat Jun 29, '13 3:58pm PST

[notify]
Silas

Loco

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 4:36pm PST 
Not sure where you are, but in Ontario "HOV lanes on provincial highways are reserved for... passenger vehicles carrying at least two people" unless you're an empty bus.
A service dog is not a person, so no, if it is just you and the service dog in the car you would not qualify (at least in Ontario).

Ontario HOV rule:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/hov/index.shtml#whatis
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 5:42pm PST 
The point of the HOV lane is to reduce the number of vehicles on the road; since most humans age 16 and up can drive, it pretty much applies to them. I think hauling families around is where it gets sticky(Like does a baby count?). However, since no dog is legally allowed to drive, then no dog will count as an occupant in the HOV lane. Don't get in trouble!
[notify]
Nova

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 7:49pm PST 
No, a SD would not count as a person.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 12:30am PST 
A dog doesn't count, but people of any age do (since Oberon asked).
[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 12:00pm PST 
good one, but no..
It's like having a wheelchair qualify for a second passenger.
No, I am sure I am right on that one, they won't qualify.
Best, sonja and the crew