GO!

boots for sd?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Halo

Halo-Master- wiggle butt

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 11:10am PST 
Has any one try using booties on their sd if so what kind our best? im currently looking at ruffwear Grip Trex Boots&Canine Equipment Ultimate Trail Dog Boots.

The resion im looking into boots is because We are located in fl so the ground gets to hot on her paws in the summer and their are sand spurps and thorns everywere. we also travel so something that can hold you to different areas of the country. i also need booties with traction to help her walk on slippery floors. but they also need to be strong enough for her to go hikeing in and be able to get wet without a problem .also be used in boat, car ect and not mess up the fabric with her claws. she has no dew claws.

Im also looking for a clip-on bridge handle.if anyone knows of were to get good ones.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 6:02pm PST 
I thought it would be cool for Sadie but she did not thin it was cool. Today was really hot and I wanted to go for a walk but my PA felt it was too hot for sadie's paws so we are going out tonight with out the PA. She asked about getting sadie booties for this sorta deal and I told her Sadie is not in to booties cause I had made her a set and she did not like them.
[notify]
Halo

Halo-Master- wiggle butt

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 9:14pm PST 
lol I tried making halo a pair out of felt and she didn't seem to mind them to much. they just kept falling off cuz they had nothing on the bottom to give her traction.so off to buy real boots for my boxer buddy smile
[notify]

Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 12:37am PST 
I'll be ordering a set of Neo-Paws for Link next week. I know a lot of people use Ruff Wear, but I've heard really good things about Neo-Paws and they look like they'll stay on better IMO. In addition to using them for work, I'll be using them for commuting in our dog powered scooter. I have used Muttluks too, but they didn't stay on very well.
[notify]
Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 8:32pm PST 
I've looked at Aussies they are decent designed for weather and terrain extremes. I ended up not getting them though because Fosters and Smith was sold out and I needed them right away.
Some new ones out your dog would probably like are called coolpaws they are designed specifically for places like Florida and Arizona. They keep the dog from overheating plus they have good traction.
For Mattie I got these boots from eBay if you measure their paw right and wrap the vercro strap around tight around the narrowest part of the foot they stay on well. She guided me for several miles on wet gravel and they stayed on plus she could walk on our new wood floors in the house.
I stayed away from PAWZ since I heard they fall off. Her's are called Guardian Gear. I'm really satisfied with the results and when I go to the beach this week I'll find out how reliable they really are. Mattie doesn't seem to mind hers. She didn't do the weird dog trot with hers she walked normally till I took her out to park and put her on long leash. In Harness she actually seemed to like them. One thing I must say which I'm sure is common for any dog boots is they sound like a Clydesdale walking in them.

Another set of boots I saw somewhere they looked like they had treads just like our shoes. I saw them primarily at things4yourdog.com though its at other stores too. Though I'm really satisfied with guardian gear. Their snug and useful I'd look into the coolpaws though for your climate since dog boots generally make a dog sweat and most are lined with fleece or some other hot material.

Another thing you could use as a back up that would protect her paws is called Mushers secret. It's paw wax that's completely safe for dogs. It works like sunscreen and you only have to apply it once a week. It works in all temperatures and terrains. It's breathable and not messy. I used it on Mattie and it worked great on the hot concrete. You can get it at Active dogs, Fosters and Smith and many other places.
As you can tell by the title it was designed by and for mushers and has been used by them for decades. I'm satisfied with it my dog wasn't doing the hot pavement bounce like some dogs were.
It comes between 6g to 1lbs and it will last a while. Plus you don't have to worry about your Doug's pawpads getting too sensitive from not touchin the ground often.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 6:44am PST 
I use Ruffwear booties. I had to get two sets though, because her hind feet are smaller than her fore feet and a single set didn't fit all four feet.

They stay on well. The tread is wearing hardly at all. They have a Vibram sole.

It took her a while to get used to them. In fact, I'm probably going to have to accustom her to them again because we only use them during the hot, summer months and it has been 9 months since she's had to wear them. I got lazy.
[notify]
Reese

Momma's Leash on- Life

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 8:37am PST 
I don't know much about boots, haven't had a chance to try them yet, but many, if not all, dogs need to get used to them. Something I'd like to try is called Musher's Wax. You put it on the dog's pads, it's supposed to withstand all sorts of conditions. I'm going to try both once I get my dog. That'd be another option you could try if your dog just doesn't like the shoes. Just a thought.
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 2:40pm PST 
Link's neo-paws came in the mail about a month ago, and I'm really happy with them. They stay on, and Link got used to them almost immediately. I like how they go up higher on the leg, unlike most of the Ruff Wear boots, which remind me of the Muttluk design and did not stay on my previous SD.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 2:52pm PST 
I just went to the Neo Paws website. I really like the looks of them. Too bad I don't need new books just now.
[notify]