GO!

Chaplin was just attacked by another dog need hugs support and recommendations

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:02pm PST 
I just went on a quick trip to Starbucks with Chaplin. We've just been sticking to petsmart, petco, petstores in general, dog friendly cafes that aren't very busy because I got a little behind when I was in the hospital and haven't felt confident moving on from there without our new trainer.

We went to the dollar tree the other day and he did marvelously. Then 7/11 yesterday and again did marvelously. Trainer said go ahead and take him to starbucks, he's ready. He's been a bit off all day but I figured it's because I didn't take him out for exercise. Anway, the day just went all wrong. He was perfect on our way over, ignoring dogs, people, etc. We got to starbucks and he was good and stayed in a down in line.

About 15 minutes in he started showing some signs of stress as more and more people swarmed the place. Not wanting to overwhelm him we left. He was fine outside again still being awesome now that the tension was removed.

Anyway. We were walking down our street to go home and a loose dog was charging ahead of three boys about age 10. They were screaming and chasing the dog, yelling at their mother in the house that there was another dog on the street. This just added to their dog's anxiety and mine so I tensed up and froze not really sure what to do. I put my foot in front of Chaplin but the dog flew over it and right into Chaplin's body, growling and snapping and getting in his face. There are a few small puncture wounds I've found in his chest, nothing serious. I basically kicked the dog off and the boys grabbed him. I promptly went inside not really thinking about anything except getting away from the scene.

Anyway... now I'm worried to take him out again. He's a happy pup still but could this incident have really damaged his training? Do you think it could result in some hostility towards dogs on our next walk? I'm so scared and worried and I hope he isn't effected by this and now I'm just like... ugh... very tense. My day was already awful but my therapist told me to get outside and I did. Working Chaplin brought my mood up but his stress signs already made me feel kind of bad that I may have moved to quickly. He's just been so perfect in the other places we went which were more crowded so maybe it was just an off day and then he got rammed...

I'm just worried and don't want to go outside again and pass other dogs and have him react badly, I don't know how to handle that so now I feel stuck until I see my trainer...

cry
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:14pm PST 
I'm so sorry that this has happened. I can relate.

I think the best thing right now for Chaplin will be your demeanor. He will normalize the aftermath based on your lead, I suspect. Try to be calm and keep everything on schedule as much as possible.

Have you been able to get in touch with your trainer?

Are you sure that there are no wounds that the vet needs to see?
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:14pm PST 
Oh that's awful! I'm glad you both are ok. hug
I would call the trainer if you can and ask for advice on what to do until you're scheduled to see her next?
I've had incidents with my (pet) dogs getting attacked by other dogs a few times, and I was worried they might have issues after that with other dogs, or with dogs of that breed, so I made sure to carefully expose them some calm/non reactive dogs, but none of them ever had any changes/issues after that happened.

Edited by author Fri May 10, '13 3:15pm PST

[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:23pm PST 
Yes! Some exposure to some calm, non-reactive dogs would be great! Do you have some friends with any dogs like that?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:28pm PST 
Nothing to add to the good advice already given but wanted to send hughughug
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:18pm PST 
Thanks for the support. And yes, the wounds are not at all big, there was more blood than anything (like a head injury). Barely perceptible to see the wound after I cleaned it out.

I'm a college student (well I'm supposed to be but I temporarily dropped out) and my school is in the city. Because of housing limitations or dorm living I know of no one with dogs...

I called and left a message for my trainer; we'll see if she even understands it because I was in tears. Chaplin kept doing what he could to settle me down and being goofy though... that's a good sign right?
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:20pm PST 
hug I would definitely get him around some calm, social nonreactive dogs ASAP...he needs to see that not all dogs are mean.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 5:41pm PST 
My trainer called back and reaffirmed all of the advice given about getting him back out to see not all dogs are mean.

I put him in his old front clip harness to make sure if he did tense (or I tensed) he wouldn't feel it on his throat and have his worry escalate. We went around for 20 minutes and I analyzed how other dogs were walking with their owners to make the chances of them being calm better. If I chose one to walk by I called out and asked if their dogs were really even tempered, briefly explained the situation and they all nicely put their dogs in a sit stay for us to walk by.

I'm not entirely sure what Chaplin's reactions meant, he did get a bit excited each time and looked like he was going to jump forward, whether it's because he loves other dogs (which he really does love everything and anything cause he's sweet boy) or something I'm not sure. But he promptly listened to my watch me and kept going, he got lots of hot dogs when we passed other dogs too to make it more enjoyable.

He settled down at the end and the last dog we passed (a nice Vizsla) he kept eye contact with me and continued walking normally without me asking.

ETA:
She also recommended that I go to the woman's house (she's on my block) and tell her he is my service dog and it is unacceptable what happened -- especially because she always has her sons walk the dog and they are never in control and he always lunges at my dogs as he walks by and other dogs. My boyfriend will go with me when he's out of work for support and courage. I plan on telling her she needs to control her pet, I have seen her dog countless times out of control but this is the first time I've actually seen him be able to get into contact with another dog. If her irresponsible pet ownership has at all effected my service dog's ability to continue working she not only has put my life at risk but will be held responsible (I have already taken pictures of the wounds).

In Illinois SDiTs are to be treated the same as fully trained SDs.

My trainer also recommended to maybe call animal control and put in a complaint so they can do an investigation, at the very least make the woman take my words seriously.

Edited by author Fri May 10, '13 5:51pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:06pm PST 
Charlie...I would take him to a vet for an exam. She needs to pay for that!
Bite wounds can become abcessed quickly so get him treated if there is ANY sign of swelling!!!
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:19pm PST 
Glad he had exposure to friendly dogs right away...I'd keep that up for at least a week or so depending on his responses ....great job! I'd also second taking him to the vet. I would want the area irrigated for sure...you don't know where that dog's mouth has been smile Let us know how he's doing hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3