GO!

Exactly why are puppies from breeders a better choice than a rescue?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Nova

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:47am PST 
"There are many options for owner-training. I believe in stacking the deck in your favor as much as possible so that you have a better chance in ending up with a fully trained SD and not a dog you must wash out."

EXACTLY. If professional dog trainers (like the guide dog school I mentioned) do not have success with rescues, why do people with no dog training background who are planning to OT think they can somehow do it better or know more than the professionals?

If you're OTing, you need to stack the deck in your favor like Iris said, and you still must be ready to wash the dog out. I think far too many people get emotionally invested in the dog they are OTing and then have trouble washing out a dog that needs to be washed out. Why increase the chances that this is going to happen? It's incredibly stressful for both you and the dog, not to mention that you've wasted a ton of your time.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 9:04am PST 
It seems from more recent information such as the Russian fox studies that more of temperament is genetic than possibly was previously thought. However, that makes me wonder why schools that breed their own dogs don't have higher success rates? thinking I mean between breeding for it and their puppy raising programs.
I mean even in that environment, they have a lot of dogs who don't make it to full service dog status, so it seems like it would be even more difficult to find a suitable dog in the random bred/raised population.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 1:50pm PST 
I feel that it is being addvicated that shelter dogs are bad for SD work and that is not so. I feel that there can be canidates in shelter dogs.
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 1:55pm PST 
A prominent West Coast program decided to use shelter dogs. Only 1 in 100 made it. The number washouts was disproportionately higher because they couldn't health test before pulling the animal. The same program decided it would be better to discontinue using shelter dogs and instituted their own breeding colony; they now have a 7 in 8 success rate. The main programs that have had immense success with shelter dogs are the programs using them as hearing dogs for in-home only use.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 2:19pm PST 
There are many other things a mixed breed dog form a shelter could do. I don't believe that breed really has any point in this work really. Sadie is a Hybred Bully breed Maybe not I am not sure any more cause she still is all bull dog really just 2 different kinds.
She is in great health but then she did come form a breeder. Though I have also gotten many mixed breed dogs form the shelter with great temperment and good canidate for SD work.
I have gotten some form friends and rescued a few myself.
I just feel that being close minded is not fair when good animals are being killed cause so many are being bred out side of that for programs and then cast off the rejects to a shelter or worse.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2