GO!

Popping in to Introduce Myself

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella Blue

Soft & Fluffy =- must be- destroyed

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 5:54am PST 
Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of finishing up the adopting on a coonhound for our son (17yrs) who has MR, PDD-NOS, Bi-Polar & Schizophrenia (that was a new diagnosis but he has been on Clozaril for about 5 years now - its been the ONLY thing to work)

Granted that is a LONG list of things but he is really stable overall but the medications he does take make him sleepy, he also has very poor short term memory so things like taking his meds (we are working towards him being in a group living situation at some point in his early 20's and we know how long it takes for him to learn things)along with having panic like attacks when in crowded areas that can not be avoided (he will ask to leave but that is not always an option) If he medications need adjustment he suffers from auditory hallucinations that are really very scary. He use to call him shadow or evil Jerm when he was younger.

The coonhound we are getting we already had a great deal of chats with the foster for him (he is about 4 months and has been in foster since 12 weeks) he is calm, smart and somewhat submissive and not phased by new things.

I do know what I am signing onto because my dog (Bella Blue) is almost finished her training as my partner in Search & Rescue but she is wired with a more dominate personality then wanted for service dog. We have used "When Pigs Fly" for most of her training along with her tracking training. It's been two years of ups and downs but things are finally clicking along and we are going to test by the end of the summer or early fall.

The goals of his dog will be to help him stay on track, getting up in the mornings, taking his medications either by reminding or alerting until they are taken and when out to realize when he is going to need the "space" in situations or that he needs to leave.

Hopefully because he has been stable for so long with only two dosage adjustments (due to growing up) he will always continue to tell someone if he starts to hear voices etc but perhaps the dog could alert him or us (or someone) to the change. I have found the sheets on the basic break down of training tasks for things but the alert to change in status might be a trick I am not sure how we will go about since he has been stable other then hopefully like my dog since she is bonded to me if I am not feeling good (I have a neck issue that effects my arms - working on getting that taken care of) she will bark at me and then lead me to the sofa to sit down if its acting up.

Anyway...I am looking forward to the group - the puppy is currently named Hansel but my son wants to call him Max.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 8:43am PST 
Welcome!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 6:02am PST 
Welcome I have a son that is schitsophrinic (sorry about the spelling long words are the hardest for me) I have also a nephew with Bi polar and a nephew with Autisium. They all have multi diognoses
and it is hard on the family exspecially schitsophrinic. It was hard to learn and deal with my son as his desease became more appearent as he got older and we all struggled with him. I slow had to learn about this thing my son was afflicted with, cause I too suffer form a mental illness and felt a mixture of feeling anger with myself more then anything. I guess we who have mental illness or any disorder and have children seem to feel more so guiltie if our children develop mental illnesses also. I hope all goes well with your new SD dog.
[notify]

Bella Blue

Soft & Fluffy =- must be- destroyed

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:59pm PST 
I do understand somewhat - I am not formally diagnosed but I know that I have things I have just learned to "live" with that when I was younger would have been in the spectrum of stuff.

I think the thing that helped me most was a friend's daughter who was studying pych and she said if you start reading the diagnoses out there we ALL have something in the MH area- no lying.

I've tried hard over the years with the help of therapists working with our son to keep what some have said and that is he is who he is - no one is at fault - and you must see him as HIM not his alphabet soup of diagnoses.

I am happy he is "stable" for so long - I get a hard rap for having him on such a strong med but as his past Pdoc (gosh I miss her!) said look at what good its doing for him!

He has no idea that Max is arriving tomorrow morning! I am picking him up from transport at 5am and should be home by about 6am. So tomorrow I will start posting with Max here.

I think I am less worried about messing up because of going through search training with Bella. I KNOW I can do this and especially for my son!

HUGS!!!!
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:25pm PST 
welcome can't wait to see Max!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 6:59pm PST 
That is going to be cool for your son good luck with all that.
[notify]
Max

I'm the baby - got to love me!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 2:21pm PST 
Hi!!!

Mom made me a profile page - I'm max!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 5:13pm PST 
I am glad to see max here hope all works well for him.
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 10:52pm PST 
Max you are adorable! Good luck to you and your family, you're a lucky boy smile
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 5:00am PST 
I love redbones I had one a long time ago a pure bred she was so awsome.
I hope you are doing well with you family max. I hope you are learning a lot of things.
Keep up the good work if you are doing all the that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2