GO!

Choosing a dog to be a service dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 6:03pm PST 
I applied for a dog from a rescue for a service dog and was rejected for it as well.

I doubt it was because I had a psychiatric disability, they didn't even ask what kind of disability. Their concern is more "where will the dog go if it gets washed out." They don't want a dog passed around more than necessary. So they are helping their dogs by not putting them in a situation that will have them get attached to someone for maybe even a year and a half before getting washed out and then sent off to another person.

At first I got angry too, thinking they didn't cherish my life as much as the dog's, thinking most dogs thirst for a job to do. But that doesn't mean service work is the right job for them.

To me this is their reasoning. Not everyone can keep a dog that washes out -- most don't. Even my breeder asked me if I planned on keeping Chaplin should he not be suitable for work. Fortunately I had only one dog before Chaplin and know if Chaplin does wash out I will be able to keep him. But what happens when a third dog enters my life to help me? Do I just get rid of my friend? In the end it does boil down to our well-being as it does the dogs' so we may have to sacrifice and re-home the pup.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 7:43pm PST 
I hope you good luck finding the dog that matches you and that you do become a good team together.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2