GO!

Gear question for the heat

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 7:01pm PST 
Thanks all for the tips. We'll be going with the vest Happy recommended after this next pay check.

Chaplin does wear the boots calmly but he's been tripping all over himself with them on... will this stop after a while?

I'm thinking of getting an insulated water bottle and "freezing" packs of water mixed with rubbing alcohol to store in the bottle.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 7:40pm PST 
Be careful if you use ice or something that is below freezing, you don't want that close to the dog's skin for too long.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 8:59pm PST 
I second what Bianca said. As for keeping hydrated Bella uses an H204K9 "K9 UNIT" water bottle which has a rubber cover that helps for insulation. It's already gotten fairly hot here (99 at 5pm today) and I've had great success with that bottle keeping water at the temp it was when you filled it/
[notify]

Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 11:58am PST 
I keep a bandana on me too, I figured if there is every a big problem, goodness forbid, with my dog over heating I can put the bag under their paws or something to cool them down. Ice is harder to adjust and fit around body parts so by putting rubbing alcohol in it, it doesn't get solid and can morph easily.

Is this a bad idea? Is it unhealthy to place a really cold substance on a dog in over-heating situations?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 12:07pm PST 
I am working on a lot of stuff some of it is summer stuff. I am going to use and get some patches for lighter weight gear.
[notify]
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 8:06pm PST 
If you decide to go with something from RuffWear, they offer a 50% discount to service dog handlers. I don't remember exactly where on the website you go to get the form, but you just fill out this form to apply for the discount and they get back to you within a few days. I'm sure if you googled RuffWear and service dog discount, you could find it pretty easily.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 8:13pm PST 
I have tryed a lot of things and have not found many things other then bathing and lite weight gear for her. She is mostly black and draws heat to herself. The other day I had that come to mind when we went in to the Home depo hard wear place and found it to be very hot for me and my PA worker
so sadie needs to be in lighter gear soon.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2