GO!

Gear question for the heat

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 9:53am PST 
I have a couple questions about what would be best.

Now that the weather is getting warm and the sidewalks will be heating up I'm worried about paw pads. Baby wears boots fine but Chaplin isn't the fondest of them.

Strictly heat/cold prevention, is musher's secret comparable to booties? For those of you that opt to use booties do you think you get more public backlash?

And as for cooling vests, I know I've seen some links for that spiffy black one (RPCM?) but it's super expensive last time I checked. Is the ruffwear swamp cooler any good?

Of course if the RPCM is a huge improvement to the ruffwear one I'll do some fundraising to get it. For those of you that have used the RPCM one, have you found it to be harder to fit their SD harness over? I think ruffwear would probably be easier for fitting.

I also have another cooling jacket though I'm not sure if it's actually effective. My mom bought them at Baby's HIC test. They are reflective on the outside and are able to be soaked in water. Anyone know about that style? I feel like we'd get a lot of problems if we walked around in a highly reflective jacket though.
[notify]
Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 10:08am PST 
I've been wondering about 'Musher's' also. My SDiT is 6m/o, she won't walk with any of the hot weather boots I have tried. Does anyone use 'Musher's' for hot pavement?
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 11:00am PST 
I Personally was never a fan of the Musher's secret, but a large portion of that was that I felt it picked up more gunk from the outside and drug it into my house. I'm a huge fan of ruffwear's boots but they do take a while for dogs to get used to. As for cooling vests I seriously want one of the Chilly pup vests at some point but it's not in my budget right now. As soon as Loki's mostly grown however I will be investing in one of these. I much prefer them to the swamp cooler, I don't like wetting down my dog if I can avoid it.
[notify]

Zoey

SDit

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:08pm PST 
i was just about to add a post like this lol way to go i have never tried 'mushers' but have thought about getting it. i have a pare of boots i made (because i'm to cheap to buy a $60+ pare) they turned out pretty good and worked great for intrdueing wearing boots to her. she still after two years walks funny in the beginning. i have never taken her out with them on because they are sometimes load indoors and there's something about a dressed up chiwawa that people go nuts for thinking i wery about the hot ground and my pups paws but luckily she only is 8 lb. so i tin to carry her to the door (or just run). i would love to get a cooling vest because she heats up so quickly and cant really do her job like that.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:50pm PST 
I have acouple light weight harnesses I use with Sadie most likely I will be using them this summer and not vest less I feel I have too. Most places I think like to have SD well marked as so.
I know I should say something but I don't feel that I can do so and I have not had any trouble yet anyway. I am thinking about getting patches for the harnesses too not yet sure. it just would be cooler for her to have lighter equipment on for summer work.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 7:10pm PST 
I would not suggest putting anything over/under the Swamp Cooler vest, as it works by evaporative cooling. This also means that if the air is humid it will be less effective.
The RPCM/Chilly Dog vest on the other hand does not use evaporation so putting a vest over it shouldn't be an issue and it should work the same in any humidity/temperature range. From all the reviews I've seen it is very effective and the comparisons I've read all said it worked the best. I have one and it does work best out of the things I've used but I haven't tried that many, just the type with beads inside that absorb water (Body Cooler brand bandana and belly wrap) and the Canine Cooler brand beds which are plastic? with water inside.
As far as fitting a vest over it, it probably depends on your SD vest and how it attaches/fits. I haven't tried that since my dog wasn't a service dog, but she was mistaken for a service dog before while wearing the RPCM vest so possibly you could just attach patches onto it instead of adding a vest on top (assuming you don't need a harness for balance or something.) I attached a patch that said "I'm Friendly" to Bianca's RPCM vest before when we were going to a festival or pet event...
If you look at her photos several of them show the cooling vest, in fact her pic that shows up in the forums (the main pic) shows the vest too.

Edited by author Sat Apr 27, '13 7:15pm PST

[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:58pm PST 
Last summer we bought a pouch that fits under the dogs harness against the chest. You put a damp pad inside the pouch and attach the pouch to their harness and or collar. It works the same way that the cooling jackets do but requires less cold water. Tank loved his and we used it all summer to keep him cool while we were outside in the yard. I dont remember exactly what its called though I want to say its called Theri cool and you can pick them up at walmart. They also work similar to the cooling bandanas that we humans use.
[notify]
Zoey

SDit

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 8:09am PST 
i got the cooling pad from Walmart last year that tank is talking about, i have not had the chance to test it. next time i'm out i will test it happy dance
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 4:03pm PST 
Voltaire's Ruffwear Boots were $23 from Sierra Trading Post...

I prefer boots. and if I find a good cooling vest I'll let you know lol. I haven't yet, and haven't tried the swamp cooler
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 5:01pm PST 
When Bella and I would go for our morning walk last summer it was already hot enough that she'd be over heated when we got back inside. I've had pretty good success taking a Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad, wetting it down and just kind of laying it on her once she settled down.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2