GO!

What should I have said?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 3:43pm PST 
Perhaps it’s because I’m too emotionally invested in this relationship to think clearly or come up with an answer and that’s why I can’t think of one good, solid response.

A relative of mine who is still in high school has severe depression. She attempted to take her life and voluntarily stayed in the hospital two other times, totaling 3 stays (the shortest 4 days) within a year. The poor kid has just been down and out. She’s currently taking a health leave from school because she’s stressing out about everything.

Anyway, without making this post an hour long read.

She has always been fond of the idea of having a service dog and finds mine to be a joy. Well, I’ve recently discovered she’s been taking her dog in a vest everywhere she goes. I do not think it’s appropriate for me to judge if she has a legally defined disability. The dog, while not task trained, is beautifully behaved (seen its obedience myself) and evidently she and her dog get compliments wherever they go.

I spoke with her parents politely explaining the requirements of a service dog and they said to me:

“The dog is trained as well as Baby is and don’t worry, she doesn’t go around encouraging people to bring their pets around with them – quite the opposite. So what if he doesn’t know tasks? Bringing him with her makes her happy, he’s helping keep her alive. That’s all we want. What’s so bad about that? It’s not like it’s negatively effecting service dog handlers.”

I just didn’t know what to say…
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:06pm PST 
Maybe show them the laws/info explaining the laws and how it says service dogs must be task trained, and the info on legalities? So they will realize it is actually that the dog is not legally a service dog and they don't have public access rights if the dog (and handler) doesn't follow/fit the necessary criteria?
Also isn't one of the things that businesses are allowed to ask what the dog does? So do they just lie if they get asked that, and if they do how can they really think they have a true service dog (if they have to lie to get in places)?
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 10:06pm PST 
That's the thing... they know the dog isn't legally a service dog because it doesn't do tasks... but in their mind they don't see why just being there isn't enough so long as it keeps their daughter finding reason to live... and I didn't have a darn thing to say.

To be honest I'm not sure why they don't just have the dog task-trained. I asked and they said the dog only works if she has food on her, they faded properly and everything -- the dog just doesn't care to do the work.

But they said why find a replacement dog when this one is perfect in every other way, why make up tasks when all she needs is the dog? Evidently the girl gets immense joy from being able to bring him and if he doesn't come she doesn't leave the house...

Edited for spelling.

Edited by author Tue Apr 23, '13 10:12pm PST

[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 3:19am PST 
I am no expert, but I would think that dog may qualify as an Emotional Support Animal. I believe they don't have access rights thoughthinking

ETA found a link that may interest you and your relative:

http://2012.servicedogsfl.org/?p=22

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 3:23am PST

[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:15am PST 
It sounds to me as if they are speaking as parents who fear losing their child and are willing to do anything to avoid that.

From what you have shared, I do not believe anything said will convince them to change their course.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 8:43am PST 
Thank you Bunny. At this point the dog would be classified as an ESA but is being treated like a SD.

I see their logic behind it and though I don't have children I can imagine where they're coming from. And yeah, they probably won't listen to me.

But just for my sake, what would you say? I think I'm too emotionally involved as well to come to a *thoughtful* response, not just a cut and dry one. Perhaps because this relationship is making me look to grey areas.

Of course it is wrong to fake a service dog, the dog must know tasks to be one and of course she must be disabled (which she very well may be though as said before I'm not in the position to say so)...

But what harm is she doing? The dog is well behaved, she's actually discouraging the use of a service dog to other people, and the dog, as I've been told, has done wonders for her and she hasn't been back to the hospital since he's started going out with her... is this really that big of a deal? I mean, it's not like she's just some person bringing dog-aggressive Fido around for no apparent reason... right?

Gosh, I hate when my moral fibers contradict each other.

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 8:46am PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 10:03am PST 
May be you can teach it some simple easy to learn Tasks that would help her and midgate some of her problems for her depression. Since you really don't need a Doctors not really, but I can see that would be no problem to get one. You really don't need to get the dog form a program and can train some task that it can do for her to help her better like: Grounding and picking up stuff, taking her away form dramatic situations witch can trigger the suicide problems, Obveous it helps her) I would not make a big deal and I am not even close to her. Sadie 50% of the time is only helping me to keep it together cause of my depression. She dose medigate tasks for many of my disabilities as well as emotional needs. A lot of PTSD is emotional as well as Bi-polar and schiz. etc. Most mental disorders are directly emotionally charged.
That is all I guess I have to say.
[notify]
Karmalita

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:01pm PST 
Bunny is right ESAs don't have access rights. Maybe the girl can task train her by having treats with her when going out since the dog is not motivated any other way? I understand shes not task trained but SDs are also prepared for weird and bad situations. Such as a kid running and pulling on the dogs tail or something making a loud noise from behind. SDs are trained to keep calm and listen to their handlers no matter what, this is what I worry about with a 'pet'. What will it do in a situation like that? It might be very well behaved until a situation comes up which would be bad for the dog and owner in this case.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 7:30pm PST 
Hense I felt maybe she should train it to do tasks and maybe even see if it is behavally able to deal with all that. I am just saying with a lil time and her training it in TSD mode maybe she could have the SD she obleously needs.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 1:42pm PST 
Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated for the thought put into them.

Sadie, I sent you a pawmail.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3