GO!

Stuff people say about SDs

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Karmalita

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 5:37pm PST 
The other day this lady said my service dog is not real because shes wagging her tail and I'm petting her. I asked why she would think that, and she said that service dogs are not supposed to be pet they are only supposed to work. Therefore shes too happy of a dog. Does anyone else get really strange comments like this? Why are people so weirdly misinformed?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:33pm PST 
I have got some strange looks and the guy the owns the rental out back really gave me a hard time about Sadie cause she did not like him nor did she like his maintance guy either.
He was alway parking in her area and tell me that Sadie was dangerous and she was not she just did not like him. He would complain about her a lot too and when I told him she was a SD he said prove it, and I told him I did not have to. I told him though if he needed that much proof he could check out at the Town hall. Sarah (my land lord told him to stop parking in her area and I moved Sadie run way over so she could not reach his side. But he still parked in over by my door and then told me to mind my own business. I have had others saying that Sadie is not a SD like the Laundry lady at the Laundry matt I went to. She questioned me a few time I took her there.
Cause I did not have her all the time and few times I went there with out her she thought I was not legit. A guy I met the other day he had the same breed as Sadie for a SD and was told that the choice of his breed was not a true SD, and cause he was OTing the Dog that he was comitting a crime. I told him about Dogster and gave him the website addy, he was happy but I have yet to see him here. I told him this place would help him with all that and maybe he might like to move since a lot of his problem would be the police.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:06pm PST 
Other then what I have last posted I would say that I have not had much trouble with anyone other then that. I have had weird things said to me about SDs but I figgured it would not be a good thing
to really try to correct them. I pick and choose who and what I say to people or how I say it.
I feel like that people will just be like that. I had such a nice time just walking around to the store the other day and did not get any sass form anyone. I did not get hassles form anyone at Wal-mart either. This to me is a good thing.
[notify]

Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:36pm PST 
Most people I have come across, are more concerned about what is wrong with me....why do I have a service dog. I ,like many others, mostly have invisible disabilities... Unless it's a day when I'm limping. Some days I find it very hard to be nice and/or not cry when these seemingly well meaning folks ask, "why do you have a service dog?"
I just want to be normal! Please let me go about my business.... Please.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 5:36pm PST 
First you two are very nice looking dogs. Sadie is the breed that most seem to like to question about this kinda of work and most want to call her a pit bull and frown. The is a huge stigma for that breed "personally " I don't have a problem with Pit ball SDs. Sadie is a Staffy/Eng.bull mastiff.
I have had many people question me that she can't be a SD if she is that breed and I have had others tell me same with their dogs of simular breeds. I met a guy a couple weeks ago telling me just that about police in his town saying the same thing. I feel that a lot of people judge breeds and people to easly on here and in public eye. I have also had people ask me why and what Sadie did.
For the most part I don't like anwsering those questions, like most people on here don't.
I am going to be going up to bangor soon a larger town in hine site but not in land geographics.
I have been in a couple store up there too. This summer I want to go up and do more stores so I can get a better feel with what I am looking at. I may end up moving back up there and I need to know what will be happening with Sadie and I. That is when it comes to how we will be treated in the stores.
I don't think we will have an issue really, but I just want to be sure.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 9:07pm PST 
My biological father hates the fact that my husband and I are often out and about with Tank because of my husband's disabilities. He was pretty hateful here not to long ago when we took my son home because we had Tank with us. He was snappy and said something really rude about not understanding why we had to have that damned dog with us all the time when it doesnt do any good for anything because all the dog is out for is itself. I snapped back and told him that at least we know where Tank's loyalties lie and at least he wont run up a huge phone bill or a huge light bill on us. My middle sister doesnt think that my husband is disabled enough to need a dog. She thinks he is just lazy and doesnt want to work. I told her she needs to spend a week living with him like I have for the last 15 years. Our ex roommate said that Tank is not a service dog because he is too stupid and doesnt know how to shut up with his barking, which he only does if he is out in the yard and a stranger comes into his yard. I didnt say it but I should have told him that at least Tank is smarter than his little Boston Terrier Psycho who chewed up a $2000.00 couch and loveseat. Tank at 15 months old already knows more commands than Psycho does at 6 years old.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 4:25pm PST 
I know how you feel about that Tank it is hard when family say that stuff. I have had many things like that said to me. People can say the meanest things it happens I am sure to say. One reason I moved out of the bigger city I had to deal with some really ignore things.I am thinking of moving up north again it has been really pleasent down here though and I am nervous to think I am going back up that way, but not in to the city. I think that maybe I will get to ride on the bus witch will be a good thing some what. I will get to also be up near my youngest son too.
[notify]
Karmalita

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 4:20pm PST 
Its good to know that other people get really rude or weird comments. I think I get a lot of looks and comments because I'm younger and my dog is mixed with pit bull (I think). So just having that alone I get a lot of weird looks. Being young, what could possibly be wrong with me? And I can't believe people actually asked about your disability. Sad how many people are misinformed about the law and how nosy they are.
[notify]
Cheyenne- Starr

Car- ride...Yipee!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 5:02pm PST 
I've already decided my next SD will be a poodle or poodle mix.... Hopefully that will help some shrug Idk...hopefully! And hopefully in 10 years, the public will be more informed. I don't mind people asking me about my dog...I even made a few fliers to handout... But I really don't like people asking, "What is wrong with you?" Like I need a reminder. It makes me sad.
[notify]
Karmalita

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 5:32pm PST 
I know people have a set breed for a service dog for some reason. And no disabled person needs a reminder that they are disabled. Where did you get the brochures to hand out? I heard people talking about them and was wondering where you can get them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2