GO!

Too much info patches

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:31pm PST 
I was wondering, why do people get the patches that advertise their actual medical diagnosis? Why get Autism Dog patches? Or Hearing Dog or PTSD Dog, etc. Why not just get Service/Assistance Dog patches?

Why would you want strangers knowing your personal diagnosis?
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:17pm PST 
I personally don't want strangers knowing my diagnosis, so my dog's vest does not disclose anything. Since my dog is a PSD I feel it would do more harm than good. However, perhaps it lessen the amount of questions some folks get, if it says right there on the patch what the dog is for?
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:28pm PST 
My dog's vest has one patch on each side, both of which say Service Dog - Please Do Not Pet Me. I don't know why some people want patches that announce what disability they have. I don't want to announce that to everyone that happens to see me out with my dog.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:02pm PST 
I have SD dog patches and mobility patches and medi alert patches. I feel it does not tell a lot but
I feel also it helps me to not have to ex-splain when people want me to talk to them. The patches are nice too. I have Many fun patches as well so I have had people tell me I should not have them on my working vest and packs. I will be putting patches on her BOB too. I may also put patches even
on her Cart I am getting. I just feel that I like to decorate our stuff. Some may feel I am over doing it but I don't feel that way.
[notify]
Blondie

Love is eternal- hope.

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 8:56pm PST 
Some times i have kind of aversion. There are many people asking me a silly questions, especially if i am in hurry or not just in good mood.

Ok and I hate people peting, whistling, growling, touching, feeding, barking or bothering my dog in any case. Especially if they let their dogs or children furiously throw on my dog.

Sometimes I have an impression that I need an extra label for every reason.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 2:27am PST 
I understand it for PTSD and Autism dogs. These often have hidden 'triggers' (especially PTSD... I know mine does). When it comes to the PTSD end of it, I'd rather someone know why I'm freaking out... if I do.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 5:05am PST 
The dx's might be shared via the patches on the SD vest as a way of doing outreach for others with the same disability.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:52pm PST 
I feel my patches help me; today Sadie and I were out and about and went to 11 different stores
non of my patches really tell about my illness or disorders.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:52pm PST 
For personal reasons I don't like to advertise PTSD and Psychiatric needs of mine on patches but I can see where some people would want to. Especially if they are hearing impaired so people know that they need to capture their attention via visual communication before speaking (assuming the person with a disability can read lips). Stuff like that it can be handy. Or if someone has a seizure alert/response dog and has something that says it's normal for it to happen or don't worry.

My boyfriend is epileptic and hates having people call ambulances for him (though he understands why).
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:53pm PST 
I feel that patches help is what I was saying in my last post.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2