GO!

Best place for ID/mobility harness for golden retriever

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Homie

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 1:45pm PST 
Bridgeport makes a pretty good mobility harness.
https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pro ductId=621
[notify]
Tsaile - ADOPTED

An angel clothed- in gold

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:49pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your responses. I do plan to have Tsaile fully OFA certified prior to actually using her for mobility/pulling purposes. She's 18 months right now - and has a long ways to go, but I do want to start looking for the right harness so I can start getting her use to wearing it at home, and then wearing it in public. I only rescued Tsaile 2 months ago, so we're still perfecting some basic commands. She's very much a baby still, I'm sure it'll probably be at least a year before I'll be comfortable getting her to do much bracing/counter balancing/pulling work. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression - her safety and well being will always be my first priority. She has a lot of drive and desire to please me, my trainer evaluated her before I agreed to rescue her, and said she had more drive and potential then most of the dogs she evaluates, and her bond to me was instant. I love her dearly - I trust my vet and my trainer to guide me as to what health clearances I should do and at what stage she's ready for more advanced training. Right now I'm working on socialization and general obedience. She wasn't given any structure or training before she came to me, and already she's proving how smart and eager to learn she is. But I'm under no false illusion that she's going to be a fully trained and capable service dog anytime soon!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:17pm PST 
I am just starting to work on training sadie for cart pulling. I was told I should wait till her bone structure was fully grown. I don't know! I was just told to wait till she was fully grown.
She is 3 going close to 4 close to 4 yrs. now. I am doing this cause I I may be traveling a lot and converting a bicycle trailer in to a dog cart. I will probably put a few patches and stuff on that to ID her as a SD. Also for my friend I may be putting an advertisement ad on it for her.
She advicates a lot for Sadie so I feel the least I could do would be that.
[notify]

Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:26pm PST 
Just looked at the bold lead designs harness - ultimately I think that is what I want when she is ready to actively start working, but I need a more affordable harness to start with and get her use to. $85 I could afford - but Abby, where did you get the similar one for $50? Affordability is a big thing for me since I can't work so I'm on a very fixed income - and want to be putting money away to get the bold lead designs harness when she's ready to graduate to a fully trained service dog.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:49pm PST 
That sound like a cool harness to get I am looking for a pull harness for Sadie too. I am not sure what I am going with But I was looking in to sled harnesses for pulling cause of what she will be pulling.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:50pm PST 
The harness Abby's talking about isn't actually a mobility harness. If you're just wanting something to start out training with I recommend you look into a bridgeport mobility harness. Some dogs can use those their whole career with no problems, but other's the harness will pinch or shift with. Either the single strap, or double strap harness is your best bet in that regard.

While I know you didn't mention that but you might look at ldsleather for access cards, they also sell ID's but the access cards are ideal because they won't give the wrong impression and will help business's learn what they're supposed to be doing.

Wishing you a lot of luck.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 5:40pm PST 
I feel I want to disagree and some what agree to that statement. I only use an emergency card ID so that I feel that Sadie will be cared for in a emergency if I can not speak.
[notify]
Tsaile - ADOPTED

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 7:05am PST 
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I'll look at the bridgeport harnesses to begin with, and start putting money aside for a better harness when she's ready to graduate into a fully trained service dog.

I at least want an emergency ID for the reason mentioned - I want it to have a picture of her, and phone numbers of close friends and my vet so should anything happen to me, they can look at the ID card and know who to contact for Tsaile. I think I will order access cards and make sure I use those in place of always showing the ID as I have in the past - I'd much rather educate to make it easier for those that follow, then making it harder if they don't have an ID card. I doubt I'll have much trouble with access with Tsaile since she'll always have her mobility harness on when she graduates to a service dog, making it obvious she's got a job to do. My little ones access was a challenge at times, especially before I had to become reliant on a wheelchair - nobody could SEE that I had seizures or that I couldn't easily bend down if I dropped something without falling.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 9:32am PST 
A card such as the one you're now describing could easily be created in photoshop and printed out then laminated. But this is a much more useful type of ID card than what you had previously described. I could even create a mockup of one in photoshop over the weekend for you using Bella as an example.

I will tell you however that your access challenges will not stop because of a "more noticeable" harness. Bella works in a BLD with a tall handle (soft handle) and a red cape attached to the back of it. She is still confused with a pet dog on occasion and people either don't see the entire harness/cape setup or ignore that it's on her. There really isn't a way to 100% avoid access challenges or obnoxious strangers unfortunately.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 9:41am PST 
I agree with Bella I am working on a lot of different ways to work out a card for her emergency Info.
I think every team should have those cards cause I have heard a lot of bad stuff happening to SDs when their handlers become ill.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3