GO!

Changing the alert of medical alert dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 2:06pm PST 
Hi,

I have a medical alert dog named Karma and she is very subtle when alerting me before I had an episode. She started cutting me off when walking (trying to make me stop) or she will just sit on me (my feet) and wont get off. It wasn't until a little while after she started doing this that I realized she did this right before I would pass out. We are working with a trainer to become a service dog and currently she is in training but I am having trouble changing her alert. I was hoping to change her alert because I am worried I won't notice her subtle changes. The trainer showed me what she needs to do but she is very resistant to changing her ways. I think she gets worried that she almost forgets what to do. Should I even try to change her alert? Does this just take time to change? Anybody have medical alert dogs that had the same problem?

Thanks!
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 11:15pm PST 
If you really won't notice that she is walking in front of you or sitting on your feet, then yeah, I would train her to alert in a different way. What good does an alert do you if you don't notice it? If you will notice those things, though, then why change it?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 12:06pm PST 
Sadie nugges me with her nose and she leans up on me if I am standing and can sit some where cause I am getting tiered and sometimes when I get tiered I fall. I happen to find her doing this more and more cause I have had a lot of trouble with my legs. Sadie has taught her self all this stuff
I feel she have figured out ways to get me to pay attention to what she is saying to me. This morning she went to the door and told me there was someone behind it or something.
She dose not do this all the time only when there is really something I need to know. Of corse there was nothing out there when I opened the door but that dose not mean there was nothing there.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 11:01am PST 
Yeah I might just keep her alert the way it is because I guess she thinks that is the only way to get my attention without me thinking shes doing something bad. I'm not sure why the trainer suggested changing it. I thought that was a little weird. Thanks for the input!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:36pm PST 
I would agree Karma Since sadie taught me lol that her way was best. LOL I feel she knows how to get my attention better then most others. Sadie is a in your face sorta dog when she really needs my attention. It is very effective and I need that distraction.
[notify]