GO!

Access Denied at the County Jail

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 1:58am PST 
Sadie, while I understand where you are coming from, I will not allow discrimination and violations of my federal rights. If they want to say allow a very well behaved, quiet dog into their visiting rooms is an unreasonable accommodation, fine, I have plenty of documentation that they would allow a guide dog, so obviously it's my disability that is the problem, not the dog. I would simply have more documentation of their discrimination. And while I know I need to keep my health in mind especially considering I'm just gaining weight back from the 88 lbs I wasted away to while dealing with divorce court and the same sheriff being completely ignorant of the law, it is a fundamental belief of mine that no one is above the law, I don't care what uniform you wear or who supplies your paychecks. And I do not want another SD team to have to go through what I went through, no one should be subjected to that, and I have a feeling they're just quietly allowing me access and won't change anything else about their policy.

Anyway, I received calls from a sergeant and the sheriff today. The seargeant said I would be allowed to visit my friend with my service dog, but I should call in advance (as I mentioned previously I already did that), he said I shouldn't have issues again.

The sheriff called me back later, ee have dealt with each other before regarding service dog issues (when my ex stole my SD equipment), and I remember him as having the typical incredibly demeaning cop personality. He was also ignorant of the law. This was all reaffirmed as I tried to talk reasonably with him. I was not rude, but I was firm, I don't allow myself to be intimidated like he especially tries to do. I was constantly having to talk or wait through his, "Listen Autumn, Autumn, Autumn, Autumn!" interruptions similar to how one talks down to a dog or child. I asked what his facility's policy was on admitting service animals, turns out they don't even have one (besides from what I gleaned from my earlier phone calls, only guide dogs and no pit bulls). I asked what he was going to do to do his best to make sure this didn't happen to me or another service dog team, he said he doesn't make promises that he can't keep! He can't even guarantee his underlings will follow federal law... I asked him if he would make sure there was education and proper disciplinary action taken, and I explained how severely his officers aggravated my disability, and told him that during the first phone calls his officers committed many violations of the ADA, most notably they continued to ask me what my disability was in spite of me telling them that was my private medical info (and also in violation of the ADA), and demanding certification. He said he handed out some info, and that was all he would do, he wouldn't tell me what information he gave his officers. I voiced my concern that he and his officers needed to know that what they did was discrimination on the basis of my disability, and in violation of the ADA because I did not want this to happen to me or anyone else, and he laughed, and said that they could kick me out at any time and never had to give a reason. That may be true, but I was given a reason, and also businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone too, but under the ADA they CAN NOT discriminate on the basis of my disability, and that applied to them too. I was getting far past done with him by this point, he was rude, demeaning, and refused to apologize or even admit any wrong doings. He would not back down on his commander being perfectly in the right about denying me access. I informed him I was not satisfied with how he has handled this, and that I will be following through on my complaint to the DOJ. So that was that.

I may be calling the human resources office again to file an official complaint because I do not like how this was handled at all. The least he could have done was apologize for his officers making me extreming ill. I have been having continuing full body shaking panic attacks just talking to these people on the phone about it, and I had a doctor's appointment, Link's first time at this office, and was sick with anxiety over the possibility of another access challenge. I had to ask my boyfriend to come in and sit in the waiting room with me, which I haven't needed since Link coming back to public access work, because I was so anxious about being challenged again. I wasn't challenged and Link did great, though I did put off a blood draw due to my anxiety levels main it pretty impossible to focus on Link since that would be another first experience. Anyway if I do call it will be at my therapy appointment tomorrow so my therapist can be there to support me. She's going to have a cow when she hears about it. This has been my first real access refusal, and I'm really shaken by it, probably doesn't help that it was at a police station. Do these happen fairly often, or only every once in a while?

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens with the complaint, I'm going to write my friend a letter and focus on being able to see him at the next visit.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 12:29pm PST 
I do aderstand you Link's handler I really do And I commend you I am not one to be intimatdated either and I did not mean not bad ill to you when I posted that what I said I just do not have to stamina to stand up to Police like that. I have had to do it so much in the past and I find it hard to these days. I have had to deal with people who have the police backing them up. I know how that feels. I am sorry if I gave you the wrong idea how I was thinking. I give you "cootos" That you do this. I as I said just am warn out form fighting with state people a good deal of the time and for a good part of 8 years. I won on all accounts with them but "It" did take a good amount of toll on my Phych. I find myself angry at serton times of the year or frustrated with people who are simple minded or who try to tell me I am doing something wrong or how I should not do something etc. I will if I do visit my son take Sadie down with me but since I am going with friends if I go I will also be leaving her in the car with a friend who will not be going in. That is how I am handling it for sure on my part. I don't say everyone should do this it is just what I am doing that is all.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:04pm PST 
Sorry, haven't researched this, but title II and title III of the ADI states that "entities must permit service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas where members of the public are allowed to go".

Seems to me that the a jail isn't an area that the "public is allow to go" - at least not without restrictions.

I thought that all US government buildings (post offices, etc) can deny access.shrug I'm mainly out of the country these days, but did the laws change that much while I was gone?laugh out loud
[notify]

Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 2:46am PST 
Otto, please refer to subtitle (g) of Title II of the ADA:

(g) Access to areas of a public entity. Individuals with disabilities shall be permitted to be accompanied by their service animals in all areas of a public entity's facilities where members of the public, participants in services, programs or activities, or invitees, as relevant, are allowed to go.

A public entity is any local or state government. Offering visitation is a service or program, and therefore must be made accessible to the disabled, including those with service animals. This was confirmed twice when I talked to two different Department of Justice's ADA information line.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 6:09pm PST 
I agree Link I can see that you are rightously up set and have a purpose on fighting this.
I agree with you though I will not be taking Sadie if I do go see my son in jail.
I will be still leaving her out with a friend of mine if I go. I do though feel the fight is a good one a support you.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:24pm PST 
Sorry that you were denied I hope you solve this problem...
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 7:50pm PST 
Thought I'd give you all a happy update. My friend was released from jail a couple weeks ago, but I was able to visit him five or more times after the initial access denial with no issues whatsoever. I don't know if they just backed off because they knew I wouldn't drop it, or if some actual education was done, but either way I was able to visit my friend in jail as granted to me under Title II of the ADA.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 5:10am PST 
Congratulations on gaining your rights. Thank you for the update. I was wondering how it went.
[notify]
Chief- Majestix the- Impeccable

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 7:14am PST 
great, Link!!
I checked with the county jail and went to visit. No issue..
I am so happy for you and for your friend, of course wishes
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2