GO!

Retired SDs in public

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brady SDiT

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:39pm PST 
What a busy week it’s been,

So I ran into an older couple today, they were ‘raisers’ for a local guide school. Next to their cart was the calmest, quietest, and slowest SD adult yellow Labrador wearing a “Ambassador dog: Guide school dog” blue cape I’ve ever seen and in the cart, a small yellow Labrador puppy also wearing a small similar cape. We have a few people in my area that are ‘raisers’ for this same school so I’m used to seeing these puppies in various sizes. I left them be, figuring the pup was being socialized and following good etiquette.

So later, I ran into them again at the checkout when another customer began asking every imaginable question. I inevitably got pulled in by this customer and mentioned I was working an mobility OT SDiT but he wasn’t with me on that particular trip due to me going to a friend’s afterwards. They said the pup was 9 weeks, about my guess, and that the older SD was in fact a retired guide dog that was living out his retirement with them.

So here is my curious question… are retired guide SDs, or any retire SDs allowed to just go into everywhere with their people if these people are not disabled, vision impaired, and are not ‘in training’ by technicality? (I’m not thinking this is ok but I didn’t say anything to them)

ETA: I looked up the guide school, Ambassador dogs by their definition, are dogs that make public appearances to educate the public on their guide dogs and their school. That really makes it seem by this definition that this dog should not be in a grocery store, no matter how elder and mannerly, if no longer a true working SD or OT/program/'raiser' SDiT. He might paint a good picture for the dogs and the school, but he is really just tagging along with these people who should have all their focus on the new puppy's training.confused

Edited by author Fri Apr 12, '13 4:06pm PST

[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 4:03pm PST 
I would say, no. The ADA is meant to provide access to a disabled person who uses a SD to mitigate a disability. The law focuses on the disabled person. Without a disabled handler, the retired dog would not be covered.

That said, maybe they're a known community phenomenon and are given special perks by the locals?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 4:54pm PST 
Wow that is pretty interesting I would think that they could do that.
I don't know why either when they must know how hard it is for all of us to go
in to placeses.
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:17pm PST 
No. Plain and simple no the elderly dog should not have been out in public. You really should contact what ever guide dog school that the person was in because this is the sort of thing they need to be made aware of. It is against health code for either dog to be in grocery stores in most states.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:21pm PST 
I would agree with the other Two I don't understand why the store didn't do anything about it either. There are many other places for that sorta thing.
[notify]
Nova

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 6:02pm PST 
Absolutely not. As a guide dog raiser myself, I know that the school would absolutely not condone this and the couple would get in pretty serious trouble if the school found out. The public ambassador deal is so that when the school has an event, at a school for example, the retired guide could go in addition to the dogs in training as an "ambassador."

I would report them to the school. They should be told to stop.

I wouldn't confront the couple though if you see them again. They need to stop, but in the scheme of things, there are much bigger fish to fry. I just moved to a new city and am absolutely astounded at the number of poorly behaved dogs vested and identified as SDs here. After one tripped me because it couldn't walk in a heel position I mentioned to the handler that while I love dogs and SDs and am a guide dog raiser myself, it would be best for her "SD" to learn how to walk next to her so the dog didn't trip people, she went off on me about how the law says she is entitled to a SD and she is entitled to train it herself and decide for herself when a SDiT graduates to SD status and she made the decision that "Fluffy" (name changed to protect the guilty!) was fully trained. Unfortunately, there is no school I can report HER to. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Basically what I'm saying is that yes, this is wrong, but non- or poorly-trained "SDs" are a much, much huger problem than an old, retired guide dog ambling slowly through a store.

So shoot the school an email, let the school handle it (which they certainly will), and know that you've done your duty as a SD handler smile
[notify]
Brady SDiT

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 6:35pm PST 
Thanks everyone, glad to find out you're a 'raiser' Nova.

I'll contact the school first thing tomorrow or late tonight. I didn't want to disclose them on here, though someone could do the math if they wanted to. I'm sure the school will know exactly who they are as they only give pups out at 9 weeks and that's the pup's age.

I'm proud to have the knowledge I have, from the laws and friends like you guys, to recognize right away that there was something off about all this.

Nova, I agree that most if not all SDs,SDiTs or even SD candidates should know, at the least, basic obedience skills and even some advanced if it's within the handlers abilities. I know the programs teach these but OTs should try to acquire them as well. Those skill are just good manners to have even for pet dogs. Can't tell you how many times, before my days as a SD handler, my pet dogs were praised for their skills in dog-friendly stores and dog parks. Made me proud of them every time. I know it helps that I am a non-competing member of a local obedience dog club, but still, I think it is a good idea.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 11:06am PST 
I wonder if they even understand that it is hurting those who really need a SD. If people feel it is ok to do that then it is going to make them think that anyone can do so.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Apr 14, '13 9:30am PST 
To add on to what everyone else has said....should that pup have been in the cart?
[notify]
Brady SDiT

Full steam- ahead.

Barked: Sun Apr 14, '13 11:33am PST 
That's a good point. This was a true grocery store, not a Petsmart or Petco. The pup was surrounded by a towel/ blanket/ or wrap. In the case for the messy possibilities, the same could be said for children, babies, and adults. I thought about that too a few times, but my main concern was still the retired adult SD.thinking

To add to the older posts: I have contacted the school with the concerns and am awaiting a reply, though it is the weekend so not worried.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2