GO!

Questions about your service dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 11:50am PST 
I just got my new service and I'm really nervous about taking him out in public because im worried about the questions people will ask. I'm worried about people saying he is fake or telling my he isn't allowed inside. Has anyone been in this situation? Anyone have any advice? Thank you smile
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 12:29pm PST 
I went through that, you are going to have to just get out and do it. Don't worrie about other people and what they are going to do or what you think they are going to say. I went through all that and I just got out and did lil walks around town first. I live in town so that was easy. Then I slowly worked up to taking Sadie to pet stores then to other more difficultie places. Put His/her vest on and maybe you can get some Pamphlets to handout just in case someone is being too nosey. Most people don't question a vest. (Sadie is a Staff.bullterrier/Mastiff mix) and she looks like a Pitbull a lot of people question her being a SD. I Use her vest a lot she dose not go out with me with out it. Most people want to just love her and ask me if the can pet her most the time I am good about allowing them to, but I make sure they know that most SD handlers don't like people to pet their dogs. Sadie is mainly trained for my mobilite and Diabieties so I don't feel it distracting her. If you don't want people to pet your SD then you should make sure you have a patch that says so. Though warning not many people pay attention to said patch(lol) We here on this site have found that often to be so. Be in mind that it is going to happen often. You maybe challenged but The Law is on your side and you are going to have to tell yourself that as much as you can till you believe that in yourself. I guess that is the best I can say to you...
[notify]
Roman

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 12:22pm PST 
I was really nervous when I took my service dog out the first few times. So I started slowly. I went to stores later in the evening - when they're not as busy - to get used to it. We would go to restaurants around 3:30 or 4 p.m., when there was no crowd. It's easier to start slowly and work your way up. Now I'm completely comfortable taking him anywhere. We're going to Disneyland in two weeks! smile
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:09pm PST 
I know how you feel as I said I went through that too. guess we all go through it just relax and go out a lil at a time with your vest. the vest helps and cards and pamphlet help.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:13pm PST 
This is really information that your program or trainer should have covered during team training. The appropriate knowledge of laws and behavior are a standard part of team training.

There actually should have been a number of public outings with your new service dog before he/she was officially turned over to you.

After that it just takes getting used to.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:18pm PST 
Happy is right there I agree I was just thinking that too. I was wondering why your trainer did not go through that with you.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 7:07pm PST 
Today I met another team and the handler had the same breed I of corse had to ask what he was using his dogs for but first I stated what I used my dog for. I was happy to see him there in Wal-mart though I was not with Sadie cause I was with my worker who did not allow me to use Sadie while we worked. I gave him this site and hope to see him soon here with us he too lives in maine.
He told me how he was having trouble with the police in his town where he lived and I said he would get a lot of help and support here.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 8:15pm PST 
I've never had any issues with restaurants or stores around where I live but I'm always nervous going to new places. Next week we are going to Lego land and an aquarium for our kids birthday's and I was having a panic attack buying the tickets online. I'm also moving to WA state this summer and it scares me that I may face some of the issues other people have faced.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 8:15pm PST 
I've never had any issues with restaurants or stores around where I live but I'm always nervous going to new places. Next week we are going to Lego land and an aquarium for our kids birthday's and I was having a panic attack buying the tickets online. I'm also moving to WA state this summer and it scares me that I may face some of the issues other people have faced.
[notify]
Blondie

Love is eternal- hope.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:54pm PST 
That.s true! People I am really happy to be there on Dogster ! It helps a lot, if you know that you are not alone with your troubbles.
I have the same problems. Sometimes it.s a whole day fight, especially if I am working with young dog in the new areas. Lots of people arent.t pleased with a dogs in any way, nor even with the dog accompany ex. Durning yourney in pt.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2