GO!

We have a new trainer -- what do you think?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Sati

We speak out- against- discrimination

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 11:07am PST 
Pawsome!

P.S. If you want to have a Portie Party me and Norman will be swinging through Chicago in August wink
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 1:02pm PST 
That'd be most excellent, pawmail me sometime to figure out logistics =)
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 2:16pm PST 
Have you looked at Sue Ailsby's Levels training? She has two books, and a list that you can join, and many people have you tube videos of them using her Levels. She uses a service dog, has for many years, is a trainer and most important for you, i think, she has Portuguese Water Dogs. I bought her 2 book series and I'm almost through the first book and my dog has learned so much, not sure she needs to learn more. My dog was almost all the way trained when I got the books. I went back and started over to make sure I didn't leave any gaps in training. It's a very organized type of program, where one thing builds on the last.

Even though I am almost 100% positive in training and do use Clicker a lot - I have upper body mobility and pain issues and absolutely cannot be pulled on. I got my dog at 6 months old and 50 pounds, and I did use a prong on her till she understood not to pull. Now she wears a martingale that only tightens to the tightness of a regular buckle collar. Prongs can be used with a very light hand, and not be cruel - but it is also easy to lean on them to much.

Porties are incredibly intelligent and would be easy to train with Clicker and positive training. I'm used to working with Border Collies and Aussies. The don't do very well, in my experience, with harsh methods.

Please check out Sue's website. It is easy to find. Her "old" version of her levels is available free there, if a bit hard to find on the website, but I recommend the new book version. Much better explanations, and ways to proof the behaviors.
[notify]

Sun

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:12pm PST 
If you want to pawmail me I can maybe help you out with a trainer if you're still looking. I am in Chicago, and I'm curious what trainer you're talking about because I know of one (that I'm working with) that uses prongs, but is very very good.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:46pm PST 
Sun: I went ahead and pawmailed you =)

Guest: Thanks guest, this looks pretty good so far, I was able to find the free ones. I'll have some more time later tonight to look over it more.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 5:14pm PST 
Sati, I own a Halti and when I try to use it Bella turns kind of crazy. It took her nearly two months to get used to it even being on her face, and even after that when I would use it on our walks she turned into a very shy and timid dog that wasn't interested in anything because she just wanted the dumb thing off. I was able to use a flat collar for most of her training so the prong collar I have was used VERY rarely
[notify]
Sati

We speak out- against- discrimination

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 8:43pm PST 
You can try an easy walker, it's a body harness that has a "no pull" feature in the front.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 7:46am PST 
I will try one of those! Thanks smile
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 7:11pm PST 
I feel I am remissed on not working with the trainer I confered with a wile ago.
I do at some point plan to ask for some help at some point for some detailed work I want to train Sadie for.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2