GO!

Have you ever thought?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 5:59pm PST 
What or how you would react to a natural disaster in your area? Are you and your Service dog prepared for a natural disaster. Sadie and I are working on Bugout Bags for this stuff. They have bug out bags for The furry loved one and partner on some of the Survival sites I have been going to and how to put one together and what to put in it for short and long term. ARE you prepared? Some people don't think about this, but I just fear that even up here in Maine disasters happen. I should have gotten that message years ago when we had that freeze. Natural disasters happen all the time hurricane sandy, kratrina, ect. We have hurricanes here in maine, but it seemed never really bad in my lifetime, that I can remember. I spend a lot of time now thinking about how to prepare for stuff like that or man made disasters. I think we who depend on our four legged partners should never over look how to survive stuff like this. When a lot of of people have pairished cause they were not prapaired. I have been researching and almost thought I had read everything then POOF! There it was Bugout bags for DOGS! wow ! who would'da thUnk that! ... "Yeah," Bugout bags for dogs and your pet cats too. In Kratrina a lot of pets died or were separated and abandoned by their owners. I think most were even lost due to E-vacing out of the home. I watched and heard this on TV etc. and realized the since-less death. I just want to be more prepared then those people and more then I was before back in the snow/ice storm. As I said I don't know how much you depend on your four legged part-ner, but I have grown to count on her and we work well together as a team. So I have thought about all the sinerios and worked on them. Then studied all the contence of these Bugout Packs, etc. I am working on building one of my own just in case I have to abandon my place of residance or even hunker down within it. (even with out Elect. I am working on saving money for small portable generators and other sorces. I am teaching myself how to be a survivalist. What foods are ok to eat out in the wilderness and what is ok for Sadie too. I am putting a first aid kit for Both of us too, that I will be able to use no matter what. I am learning about natural meds. and how to counter act and survive with out. Sadie & I may have to also travel on foot by ourself. I do not like guns most people don't. So I am learning alternative ways to protect and hunt for foods. If I should have to go out and away form town and home then I will have to know this too. My Dad taught me how to handle a gun so I comppromized with learning about BB guns and slingshots. I don't like to hunt or kill animals, but for survival it maybe different. I would like to hear form you all about this so please post your thoughts about what you think : This is important to me.... To know others are thinking about this too that I am not being paranoid about this sorta thing. It is not bad to want to be safe and know how to self care if there is an emergentcy and I can not get out or if I should have to bug out of my apt. also when to know if and should when the time came. Also don't for get to plan a reliable bug out transpertation. If you drive that, If on foot that; " But on foot be careful and pace yourself." Other sorces like a wheel chair don't relie on your motorised wheel chair they are not usually good in ruff turane and you may have to go off road. A manual one is better, "If you are one of the few who use their dogs to pull it is good to pace your self and them."

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 12:34pm PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 12:39pm PST 
I got my Veggie pods today and had started growing other fruits and trees that bear fruit.
I have also bought my first Bugout bag starter kit. and got a free sample of the storage food.
Made a visit to the Dollar tree in Bangor and found a lot of poss. for short term bug out stuff.
Thinking about all compromises and possibiloties. SO WHAT HAVE DONE?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 6:22pm PST 
I just got my "BOB" It is a Bug out bag for Natural disaster or other wise. I am happy to have it but I need to build it up more. Most of the stuff in it is cheap and really would not make a good "BOB".
Like the tent and sleeping bag etc. and a lot of stuff is missing too.
So I will still be working on it but I did get a starter kit. I will also be getting a good Dog pack for Sadie to cause I also have directions for putting one together for her.
It will be good to have it when I need it.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 2:25pm PST 
I got more Veggie pods today am working on home support of food going to get a dehydrator for my own foods storage what are you doing out there with your SD are you preparing them ?
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:24pm PST 
I have been thinking on this for a while now since I here is a good as any place to mention this.
I plan to help My Landlord friend with some free advertisement on Sadie with her SD uniform.
I am sure some will not like this but this is my thing I want to do for my friend. I will be getting her a T-shirt with a Advertisement for her Pizza Shop place.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 12:22pm PST 
Really no one ever think about natural desaster???? Wow... I was thinking that at least in most other states that Natural disaster happen. I know they can happen in maine too. I have been working on a Bob, a Bob is a (Bug out Bag) I have the Book on it and how to put one together too. I was thinking since no one seems to be in here to check this out. Sadie is the most important thing in my life and I saw what happen to pets and people when Katrina hit. I am not going to be a victom if one hits or worse. I know a lot of people think people who prepare for a doomsday are nuts, but I am Not taking a chance no matter what others think. It seems that a lot of people wait till the last minute about these things and take it for granted about the fact that their SD will be OK. I have a feeling that some of those people in katrina thought that too. I started with a start up kit but found that a good pack witch you can find at your local Good will or Marden's etc. will be good. You can use a n old Dog pack for your SD that you retired. I his or hers pack you put an exstra collar, a leash, a portable bowl and a Portable dog water bottle, In a good zip lock bag fill with your dogs food, in another some special treats or buy a small bag just for your dogs pack, Also you should devise a first aid kit for your pup: things like self adhisive ace bandages and goze and that blood stopping stuff etc. like that. You may want to also make sure you have a SD vest handie that was maybe retiered also. Yours will be more complicate due to your woodland exspearance. You might want fast food for the first 72 hours and in your and your pups pack you should online perchase some bottled water or a water purifyer or bagged survival water. Most of your microwave foods and canned foods etc have a shelf life of 6 months to a year. There are some survival foods cheep on line at some websites with deals pks. sets. and one I like that has a free sample for a family of 4. USED BOOK STORES and amazon has survival books and living etc. that will help you live off the land if you are out longer then you need to be.
I am putting one together by going online and you down load some info like that too.
The book I have tells you how to Bug out with disabled people and lil children and elderly.
I found a lot of the stuff I needed at my local Dollar store (not family Dollar) but the dollar tree.
Big lot and stores like that shopping around will make it worth your wild.
Every 6 moths they recommed you to clean out and recheck your "Bob."
Make a check list of your personal need that you are storing in it for a bug out situation.
When it comes to Sleeping bags and tent etc do not go cheep. Wool socks and other warm and dry clothing other then what you will be wearing when you have to bug out. You should have a pair of warm and cool clothing in your bag. They recommed Layers for those in cold climates and etc. Approprate shoes should be broken in and then put aside for a bug out.
(high anckle hiking boots) Miss. stuff like The old Duct tape and etc. Also purches a crank solar
charged AM/FM radio for weather and emerg. broad casting. There are some inexspendsive radieo's that have cell phone chargers. Note: even though the towers maybe down there have been recorded chances that you will be able to send out a text. Have a map to a degsinated point
where you and your family friends etc. can meet or go. Communication is important.
I am going to make sure my sons know I will be heading toward them and that I will be going a serton root so that they will know that is the way for them to go. you should make two; just in case one is not passable. Care self protection:" A strong pepper spray, a weapon of some kind that you know how to use well. (If you are like me I am afraid of guns, but there are "alternatives" that are just as deadly or debuiltating.) I don't want to hurt anyone but I will not be a victim either. (Nor will I allow Sadie to be a victim) So that is my post for today about this and I hope someone here reads it and not think I am a freak.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 4:35pm PST 
I have a pack for Iris in case of emergency, such as an earthquake. It has food, water, medicines, blanket, first aid supplies, muzzle in case of injury, shot records, etc.

I have the same type of thing for my family and me, minus the muzzle. laugh out loud It makes sense in earthquake country.

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 4:36pm PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 6:42pm PST 
Dog Scouts website has some good info on emergency preparedness including what to include in a Shelter at Home kit and an a evacuation kit for dogs. They recommend to have two kits for the different options.

All Info: http://dogscouts.org/badges/disaster-preparation/

Some info on things to have/training that may be helpful:
http://dogscouts.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Disaster_Preparedn ess_preparing_for_an_emergency.pdf

The info there is about how to earn a Dog Scout badge for disaster preparation, but it is useful even if you are not interested in the organization/badge, just for things to have for your dog and yourself in case of emergency/disaster.

Edited by author Fri Apr 19, '13 6:49pm PST

[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 7:34am PST 
Cool Iris (lol maybe you should have a muzzle for your family too LOL) Sometimes in exstream cases of emergency some people can be pretty ignorent and run their mouth. No effence there.
I am just sorta kidding about the muzzle for people. Thank you for the suggestion Biancia I have sorta trolling around the searches for these sites that just offer the equipment.
I am glad you two came in here. I have been on full seam since I found a site where they sell emergency survival foods. I just got a starter kit but working on a altament BOB kit for myself and one fore Sadie. At first I did not find anything for pets and was completely agast about it.
That sites like this would forget something just as important to people as their loved ones.
I mean to some people their animals are family why would these places not think about that.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 9:20am PST 
Great resource, Bianca. Thanks for posting it!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4