GO!

Attending College with a SD

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:16pm PST 
I just applied for the fall quarter at the community college here. I plan to get a transfer degree then apply to the university. I have a couple of questions for those of you that have attended college with your SDs.

What process did you have to go through when you first applied to be able to bring your SD with you? The lady I talked to on the phone said I'll have to meet with the counselor and provide a letter from my doctor, it sounds like it will be similar to a reasonable accommodations request for housing. What should I expect? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm planning on going into the psychology field, but with an emphasis in animal behavior, which means I'll likely have classes where there are live animals in various environments. Has anyone else been in this type of situation, if so, how did you handle your SD, or did you not take your SD to that class?

Are there other types of classes you did not, or would not, bring you SD to?

Any other information or advice would be highly appreciated. smile
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:29pm PST 
I am just now looking in to college but I feel like that I need to do my studies at home I am not a campus person. I found a gov. Finachal help that will allow that.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 8:46am PST 
I go to an art school and Bella comes with me much of the time, but not when there is a possible safety issue for her. If I'm working in the darkroom (pitch black), sculpture lab (power tools), or around any chemicals she does not come with me for her own safety. I hope that helps you!
[notify]

Homie

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 8:17pm PST 
I've been taking classes in a community college for couple of years. First I signed up with the disability resource office, there is quite bit of paper work to fill out (I didn't need a letter from a doctor, there is just small section on the forms that your doctor fills out).
When I was taking vet tech classes when ever we were working on various animals (doing physicals, vaccination clinics, autopsies etc.) I always had my SD in one of those foldable nylon crates.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 4:40pm PST 
To bring Thor to school with me I basically had to go into disability services and talk to them about it. Once they determined he was a "real" SD, we were fine.

However, if I had wanted special accommodations such as a different type of table or something they would need a letter from my DR.
[notify]
Blondie

Love is eternal- hope.

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 1:50pm PST 
In my previous study there were SD denied by the consultant of disability department. It was announced by official letter, that they denied my SD in the reason, that acc to their opinion i am not in a danger of my life, and they can provide me an equally health care service during the class session, and also that they have not created a standards of accommodation for SD in the campus.

So i need to find accommodation of my own. But it was much more better for me and SD, than share apartment with someone, who is not pleased to understand.

They also wrote me, that the only exception should be given by applicants with vision impairment.

On the other way, at the different part of the same university, at the another office, they donĀ“t need to provide any documentation, and they will provide me fully service also with my SD. So its all about the people.

The only requirement was, that I need to have my SD always clearly marked, as an SD.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 12:12pm PST 
I know I have already said this, but I have really been thinking of trying College. Though I think I wont go on campus and stay behind a computer.
[notify]