GO!

How do you address your service dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 4:22pm PST 
I have always believed that animals have more intelegentence then we give them credit. Since I was a child I just talked to my pets and exspected them to know what I say to them. I know a lot of people including famouse trainers say; that we put too much infess on intelegentence to animals understanding. I don't care what they think cause I just talk to my Animals like they were people. I tell them what I want when I need them to do something etc. They get it cause they end up doing what I ask. I feel it is an insult that I treat Sadie like she was just a stupid animal.
Cause she is far form that. My relationship with Sadie is of a team not just master and dog. I depend on sadie for a lot of things in my life now. She has been there through my struggles in my life, maybe not the life and death struggled with before she came to me, but I was really struggling with the results of that struggle.
I had gone through a lot of physical struggle too.
I have had people talk to me about that too cause they were the people that had been there too when I had gone through those struggles. So just as I said I talk to Sadie with clear and direct words just as though she were a person I was conversing with.
Do people out there do that too? I am asking: How do you address your Service dog?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 2:34pm PST 
I agree that dogs are smart. I also talk to my dog with direct words. He also sits and listens if I need to blow off some steam, patiently waiting until I"m done. I also consistently talk to him when we're out and about (I suffer from very severe anxiety at times, talking to him helps me feel better. Plus, I put my bluetooth in and it looks like I"m talking on the phone so people leave me alone.) While I do this, he carries out his various tasks like blocking, or deep pressure - all while paying attention. And now that I've figured out why he was misbehaving so ferrociously the past month, we've fixed the problem so he can come back out in public with me, even though we're still doing a lot of training runs in addition to actual activities. But I think if a dog was really a stupid animal, he wouldn't be able to respond to my behavioural cues (I don't have any ommands for most of my tasks with him, they are cued solely by behavioural markers), or be able to follow my lead when I'm talking to him and do give him a command in the middle of talking and then return straight back to talking. They would need direct commands and onsistent treat motivation to do anything. So I too talk to them very matter of factly and point forward. They're smart, they deserve to be treated as part of the living breathing team - not as a tool without thoughts and feelings and opinions of their own.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 9:28pm PST 
Thank you Guess for re-affirming what I posted here.
[notify]

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:09am PST 
I talk to Mali too, I say please and thank you, I even ask what she thinks of something when I am shopping. I don’t care what other people might think because I am talking to my dog. I am old and if they want to think I am eccentric or downright crazy that is fine with me, Mali knows what I am saying.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 10:36am PST 
Thank you again Mali for confirming that with me. I don't think you are crazy either since I do just that too. I guess it just came up the other day what ceasar says about dogs and us americans putting to much humanisum in to our pets. I like ceasar don't get me wrong. Just I feel people who say that are just as wrong as they think I am wrong to think it. I am glad there are people out there who feel just as strong as I do about our fellow partners/ pets / team members. I don't refer to her as a pet since the ADA looks at her as equipment and that is not what I look at her as either she is my partner. I also say please and thank you to Sadie. Cause it is out of respect for her that I do so .
She is not just adaptive equipment nor is she just a pet ( though I treated my pets like humans too.)
I disagree that treating animals like humans hurts their training. Thank you again Mali.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 10:51am PST 
My husband and I both talk to Tank like he is human. We ask him for behaviors and say thank you to him when he does them. We also are working on teaching him the command excuse me where if he is in the walk way we simply say Tank Excuse Me and gently guide him out of the way then tell him thank you for moving. When I was a kid my grandfather trained his two beagle hounds to stay down when he had his good sunday clothes on but when he was dressed in his work clothes the girls knew that they could jump up on him. He would tell them that they had to stay down cause their feet were dirty and they wouldnt jump up. I wish that he could have taught me how he did that before he passed away but I loved watching him work with his dogs. He could take the girls (his hounds) out to hunt and because of his age he couldnt really walk for long distances so he would sit down and tell the dogs that he was going to sit right there on the log or the rock and that the dogs were to bring the rabbits to him. Needless to say they did exactly that. I talk to my pet dogs like they are human like earlier I told Tundra to let me know when the mail carrier came so I could check the mail and needless to say when the mail carrier came Tundra barked a couple times. I stepped out and told her thank you and good job then she laid down and went to sleep on her pillow on the porch.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 2:03pm PST 
Cool Tank, thank you for sharing that I feel that Sadie is the same way though she just can't seem to control herself when her people come that she loves a lot cause she knows they love her.But she is starting to get it slowly. She also has a nasty habbit of (how do I say it nicely pushing her head in to guy croches) LOL I know it is not funny to the guy who is getting that done but she dose it and I am trying to break her of that. I don't think she is trying to be mean to them she is just saying she loves them. They know this but they have to help me teach her to stop it and most do. Cause they do love her a lot. I think it is mostly cause when she is outside she is all ready pumped up with energy. So if she is out side when they come to visit she wants to greet them. I spend a lot of time working with her not to do this but what happens is she constantly is incurraged form people who think it is ok to incurrage her to do it.
But I talk to her like that too I ask her to "Please" do something for me and "thank you" for doing it, ect. If I want her company I tell her I am lonely and she will come running out of the Bdrm.
I do that when she is spending too much time in there or when she is ruffing up the bed.
She dose that a lot too, she also dose it to her bed (LOL). I know sadie knows what I am saying I have tested her a lot. My son and others have told me that I am dalousional cause I believe this and I laugh at them. I am not going to stop believing this cause I have felt and believed so all my life. I don't compromise either.

Edited by author Wed Mar 27, '13 2:05pm PST

[notify]
Hope

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 8:41pm PST 
I'm always talking to my girl. Don't know if she actually understands me or not half the time but I really don't care. It makes her happy and it makes me happy. That is all that matters to me.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:13pm PST 
I agree to that to Hope.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 11:40am PST 
I was very angry today @ Sadie... I just got some seed pods for my starter garden and I had planted a few to begin with in my all ready started bagged garden. I went to let her in form being out on her run and just turned for a second to put the leash up and there she was pulling out my pods I just planted!!!! So I yelled at her Of corse she new I was angry by my voice but I know she knew better cause she has never done that before. I am really up set that she would do this and it was not cause she did not have food down. I had just opened up my own food (for lunch) and made sure she had
food in her dish too... I was just so mad that she would do that. I have Pots of dirt all over the place and she never gets in them. So this was really up setting for me...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3