GO!

Service dogs for social anxiety?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:57am PST 
Well, I have a severe social phobia (like I feel like I'm going to die every time I enter a social situation) along with depression. I'm not really considering a service dog at this point, but I'm just curious, can a service dog help with social anxiety? If so, how? What are some tasks that it might do?
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 11:46am PST 
A service dog's presence can be calming, for sure, but in order to get a service dog your condition must LEGALLY be disabling. Only a qualified professional can assess that. If/when a MD has declared you disabled, you can start thinking up tasks that a dog could perform to mitigate your condition. Remember, just being there, or providing comfort, while helpful, are NOT tasks. Hope that helped.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:24pm PST 
I know that Maddox, and as of now, though sometimes it feels like I should be, I'm not legally disabled or looking for a service dog. This is more for curiosity's sake than anything smile. I've just heard of people using service dogs to help with social anxiety, and I'm just curious as to what they do to mitigate this disability.
[notify]

Isaac

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 9:08pm PST 
I don't know what tasks a dog might do for someone with social anxiety. It would vary from person to person, I assume. Basically it depends on what the disabled person cannot do for themselves.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:08am PST 
Maybe block people from getting too close and crowding, looking around corners in a store and warning you if you are about to come face to face with another person, pressing against you to help you keep grounded. (I have heard of Vets with PTSD needing these kind of tasks. Do you think any of this could help you?)
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 1:26pm PST 
That makes sense Isaac.

Thanks Fritz, that did help.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 3:02pm PST 
I know I've seen a list of possible tasks for PSDs before. Maybe try a google search for Psychiatric Service Dog Tasks, or 'Service dog tasks social anxiety'?
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 6:48pm PST 
I have SAD and a few other panic and anxiety disorders and Voltaire helps me by alerting to rising anxiety so i can leave the situation before i become overwhelmed, block so people can't get too close to me either by approaching me or inching up on me in a line, will lead me to a quiet place or the exit if i'm non responsive from an overload, or an starting to panic. If I'm going to faint he takes me to a seat and lays on my legs so I can't move etc.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 8:41am PST 
Thanks Ginger and Voltaire, that helped.
[notify]