GO!

Service dogs and tax deductions in Canada

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:39pm PST 
Has anyone taken their SD expenses off their taxes in Canada?
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 2:07pm PST 
Specifically,

I received a notice from Revenue Canada that in order to allow the expenses incurred by Otto, "we need proof the animal has been provided by an organization, one whose main purposes is the training of such animals."

thinking

Interesting, since I'm unaware of any federal laws about any kind of assistance dogs, only provincial laws. Since Canada Revenue is Federal, I'm wondering what they base their requirement on.

I get the credit for a person with a disability and have taken Otto's expenses off for years. This is the first year I got this request.

As of now, they are not allowing the deduction but if they "receive additional information at a later date, we will review your return for a possible adjustment."
[notify]