GO!

So Aggrevated (Rant)

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Terrowin- -RIP- 06.28.2012-

I'm a helping- hound. Arooooo

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:58am PST 
I'm currently attending a school for dog trainers and everyone here is faking Service Dogs (and the instructors are encouraging it) so they can take thier dogs / puppies everywhere with them.

I know it's a fine line. The dogs are well-trained and not going to give a bad name to legit service dog owners but it makes me so angry I could just cry about it.

I've dealt with fakers before. I've dealt with them often but to be in a class where 25 people are excited to fake having an SD just drives me crazy. It's been months since my SD Terrowin died and I recently started training a new PSD pup and to deal with people so blatantly faking and not only that faking with choke / prong and e-collars to get their dogs to behave.

I don't understand why people think this is all alright to do and to train them so they can take them on airplanes with them for free.

I'm excited to be in school and to learn to how be a dog trainer. I've interned under various trainers in the past that have pulled the same crap but all these students are out buying fake vests and one of the students is a "SD Expert" and I opted to keep my mouth shut about the whole ordeal because I just don't want to deal them yelling at me about "not being a team player"

Idk guys. I just feel like crying right now and quitting school because of this.

On a different note I know I had a thread about "What breed would work for me" months ago and I decided to go with a Malinois I bought from a working dog breeder. Just in case someone was wondering what breed I went with.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 1:03pm PST 
I don't think it's a fine line at all. Either someone is disabled or they aren't. Either their dog is trained to do tasks that mitigate their disability or it isn't.

I certainly understand your frustration. Can you speak to the head of the school or something about it?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 3:44pm PST 
Sounds like a great place for ABC or NBC to do an expose... or even that "What would you do" show on HLN.
I would try to find someone to do a news story on it!
[notify]

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:34pm PST 
Wait a minute, you know they're fakers but you're still going there for training? confused
[notify]
Service Dogs in Training

Service Dog in- Progress

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 6:56pm PST 
I would find another place to get a degree. They are doing something very wrong and it wouldn't be right to support them.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:06pm PST 
Yeah I would suggest bringing up the laws with the people in charge of the program, maybe they can have some kind of seminar or have the people teaching the classes let the students know that what they are doing is ILLEGAL not to mention the fact that it's wrong on several levels! confused
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:31am PST 
I meant "fine line" in the sense of "I HATE fakers but if you insist on being a faker your dog should be the epitome of well-trained so as to not create issues for future LEGIT service teams."

Unfortunately there's a no-discount policy and 20 grand is A LOT of money to go to waste.
Also unfortunately the leader of the school suggested we fake SD's to get access to better train our dogs in places where they wouldn't usually be allowed. It went so far infact that he recommended websites to get vests and "service dog ID's and certifications" (ugh)

If we were learning to train SD's that would be fine but I'm the only person interested in training SD's and I'm the only one here attending the non-required SD lectures.

I tried to educated the other students but they all hate me now because they think I'm being stuck-up. I sent an anonymous e-mail to the two major news channels in the area but the school is such a big deal around here they both messaged me back saying they don't want to mess with it.

I'm just at a loss of what to do. The school itself is REALLY good and very respected. Everything was going great until the other student aka "self-appointed SD expert" started this "I fake an SD to take her on the airplane with me" stuff.

Is there some SD organization or something I can contact about this? Nothing came to my mind but I really feel like someone needs to be informed of what's happening here because it's just not right.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 8:35pm PST 
I'm going to be honest in that.. "not only that faking with choke / prong and e-collars to get their dogs to behave" that makes it sound like they aren't using these training tools properly(should be used to proof), and therefore, it doesn't sound like such a 'great' school after all, especially not with all the faking SD issues. NOBODY should be condoning faking SD's to get their dogs better trained in areas they AREN'T ALLOWED ANYWAY - especially not a dog training school. The fact the HEAD of the school is doing so is appalling.

I'm not sure entirely on the laws, but I DO know that faking SD's is illegal - are there any authorities you can contact at all? Is there anyway you can get proof?
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:38pm PST 
I looked up the laws in the area (Missouri) and it's something along the line of "Trainers needs to be an accredited training school for Trainers to have access rights" and I'm not sure if the school is accredited or whatever in that regard or how to find out if it is.

I want to contact someone about what's been happening here because it NEEDS to stop and it needs to stop asap but I don't know who to contact about it. Any help in this area would be much appreciated.

It's unfair what they are doing and it's screwing legit-handlers over. I have a PSD candidate (soon to be in training) and I don't even have access rights with him in Missouri because he's a PSD not a seeing/hearing eye dog or aids with mobility.

I'm just at a loss. My mother, who's paying for my education, doesn't want me to quit and I don't want to quit until I KNOW that someone is doing something to fix the illegal-stuff that's going on here because someone NEEDS to be punished but I just don't know who to call / e-mail about this since the news stations aren't doing anything.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:24pm PST 
I guess you are posting this to the effect that you know for sure that everyone there are actually being fakers. I don't know what to say other then yeah I would be very up set about this and have mixed feelings all together about it too. On one hand I would not want to quit cause I love working with animals and on the other the fact that they are breaking the law and making it hard for people like me to have my own SD.
[notify]