GO!

Operating A Light Switch

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 1:31pm PST 
I wanna start out by saying that I'm not trying to train this as a task but just for fun. I know it could be considered a task, but I'm fully capable of doing this myself, so it would not count for Mikal and me.

Mikal will be a year old this month and is a PSD in training. We're working a lot on obedience, but just for fun, I'd like to teach her how to turn a light on and off. So, any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!
Lizz and Mikal
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 7:24pm PST 
Here you go, a three part video series that will help you with that.

link 1, link 2, link 3
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 10:15am PST 
I think it's a great idea to teach your dog to turn off and on a light switch! Training for any purpose increases the bond.

I trained my SD to open and close the door for fun-- it isn't required for my disability. She LOVES to do it and I let her do it as a treat.
[notify]

Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 2:05pm PST 
Awesome. Thanks, Happy! I figured you might know of something good for this.

Iris, I agree. And I think we both get kinda bored of just practicing the same stuff over and over again, so I figured I'd find something new!
[notify]
Mikal

PSD SDIT

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 1:46pm PST 
I'm having some issues getting Mikal interested in the light switch. I give her a treat every time she touches it, but then she just looks at me for another treat. = /
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:01am PST 
An easy fix might be changing up her rewards. If she likes toys and treats, alternate between them. Then you phase out the reward from every single time to every other time and then phase it out to even less use. I always use a secondary reinforcer, however. If a dog likes attention, I say "Yay (insert name)!" in a happy, excited voice. If a dog likes petting, I'll do a quick scratch behind the ear or where ever else they like it. If a dog likes play, I might grab their muzzle and move my hand from side to side and growl or shove them and growl. Of course, be really sure that your dog actually enjoys the reward. You don't want a dog to interpret your attempts at rewarding them as punishment.
[notify]