GO!

puppy service dog training

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

disney

disneythepitbull

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 7:41am PST 
hello i am new to the site. the reason i signed up was to get some help. I have a 5 month old APBT and i am in the process of trying to make him my service dog. I have a severe case of generalized anxiety as well as a rare disability known as septo optic dysplasia. I am able to walk on my own however it is difficult to grad things as my right side is very limited. my questions are
-where do i start ( california)
-tasks
-trainers?fscilities?
thanks

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 10:42am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 12:48pm PST 
Disney, you will likely get MORE responses by posting in the Service Dog forum. Perhaps a moderator may move this over there?
[notify]
disney

disneythepitbull

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 8:28pm PST 
how would i do that????
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:42am PST 
Go to the main forum list and scroll down until you see the Service and Therapy dog forum.

Or just click here.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:53pm PST 
Disney, looks like they moved it for you... this will bump it up so hopefully you will now get some answers to your questions!
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 6:27pm PST 
If you want to know if your puppy can be trained to be a service dog, you would start by having him evaluated by a professional trainer with experience training service dogs. Most dogs don't have the right temperament to be service dogs and the chances of a puppy that wasn't specifically selected to be a service dog having the right temperament probably aren't that good, but it's possible he could make it. But you'd need a professional to evaluate him. If he has the right temperament, you'd need to have him evaluated by a vet to make sure his hips and elbows are in good shape, especially if you want him to help you with balance or mobility.

If your puppy does have the right temperament and passes the veterinary eval, you'd work with a professional trainer to teach him basic obedience, the specific tasks you need him to do for you, and to train him for public access. It usually takes about 18 months to train a service dog.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 11:18am PST 
Hey Disney I know how you feel I have a Bull breed she is constanly mistaken for a APB but she is close to the same breed. My Sadie is a: Amer. staff. Bull terrier / Bull mastiff she looks simular to the breed because they use the staffy to breed the pit breed. Sadie is a slightly new breed of american Bull mastiff. She is a wonderful breed for SD work though as they said can be challenged. In maine she is not so much challenge(well not in my town anyway.) I see a lot of different terrier bull dogs in my town though Sadie is the only one that is a SD that I know of. I got Sadie when she was 7 months and she was a bit of a hand full at first cause the man who had her allowed her a lot of freedom. They are very protective of their area so take that in to account. Sadie is a loving dog she just wants to love everyone. She was also pretty easy to train cause she is a dog who just wants to please her person. Take most of this in to account and make sure she is well socialized. She can be a bit bullieish when she playing. I got a few big dogs to calm that down and she was raised around smaller dogs. So just take it slow get to know your Pup and their quarks don't let them bully any of the dogs around them. This is all I want to put in to the subject.
[notify]