GO!

Service Dog handler removed from Farmers Market

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Mordecai

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 6:59pm PST 
Scooter, that's what I thought initially, that the dog had been on the ground it wouldn't have been a problem, but I've heard several other stores similar to this one, of people with service animals being harassed at this farmer's market. One had a guide dog retriever and the staff member actually grabbed the dog's harness to get them to stop.
[notify]
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 4:14am PST 
Sure she had her dog in a bag this time, who's to say the five times before crazy manager and security goon had not tried to kick her dog?
I saw that the PWD was doing what she could by moving her dog away from the food when she came to a table.
I should not have to worry about protecting my dog from idiots, but I do. People who don't get their way will intentionally take it out on the weaker, even a defenseless little dog. Believe me when I say that I have had this personal experience and a great dog had to be retired because of it.

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '12 4:16am PST

[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 5:09pm PST 
I found two articles about this issue and if you read through the comments with the articles, the manager is apparently known to harrass/bully people and there are several comments from other service dog handlers who were harassed or people mentioning handlers they know of who were, so I don't think the dog being in a bag is the main issue here:

http://www.kdrv.com/growers-market-raises-ada-questions/
h ttp://www.kdrv.com/vendors-upset-with-market-after-video/

One person in the comments says the manager would harass people until they get mad and then once they did she would call the police and have them kicked out for disruptive behavior.

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '12 5:12pm PST

[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:54am PST 
Scooter...

I need your source(s) for saying its legal for a store to have a dog removed from a cart and that there is an issue with the dog being at/above food level. I have NEVER seen it in all the legal research I have done nor have I found anything that says the dog must walk.

Harley is at it above food level in many places bc of his size. The same is true with most large SDs.

Now, do I think a SD should walk? Yes...unless they need to be higher to perform their task(s) or unless it is a safety issue. I see this situation as it being a safety issue.
[notify]
Sweet Pea

B-a-l-l? WHERE?

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 10:30pm PST 
As I read through the comments on the youtube video, I noticed that there were comments saying this was a 'comfort dog' or an 'emotional support animal,' and that in other threads there were comments as well that since the doctor had prescribed the dog for psychiatric conditions, it was a service dog, and then another one about being 'grandfathered in.' These are taken from several different threads under the same video. Huge issues, huge misconceptions. I have learned there are usually three sides to every story: "yours," "mine," and "the truth." I think the real story is a combination of all three. The Market lady and the guy in the 'staff' tee shirt were a bit rude, but I don't know the history. I don't know if this is a psychiatric service dog, emotional support animal or what. Time will tell. I am interested in how it comes out.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:24am PST 
I don't live near there, so obviously I can not speak from experience, but I did some more research when this first happened. Apparently, this woman is like this a lot. They will pick out people that they don't want in the market and harass them in this manner. This is also not the first service dog team to have this happen to. This is the first team to go public to have some changes made.

Yes, the YouTube video comments are awful.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 1:51pm PST 
I don't think anyone is brave enough to grab Sadie's anything though I don't want people to be afraid of her some are. She is not a smal breed but she is not as large as some think she should be.
Sadie a bit small for her breed, larger then I had hoped she would be. Though lately I wished she had gotten a bit bigger then she is even now. Sadie is a Mastiff/ mixed with staff. bull terrier.
I had thought to get a smaller breed cause of the smallness of my dwelling. The need for a SD ran beyond just Psch. ishues. She does this for me, If I were to to fall I would not want anyone to help me up I don't like to be touch more so then. Sadie dose this for me so a smaller breed would not have been suitable for me. For anyone to treat a SD badly is crimminal and that is more then enough Said I feel that people are just ignorent to behave so bad toward a SD let a lone any animal.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 12:56pm PST 
I've had a store try to stipulate that my SD has to be carried before. A 40+ lbs dog...
[notify]
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:43am PST 
My daughter's service dog frequently is carried, but that's fine, as she's a medical alert dog (although not for seizure reasons). My daughter finally started carrying "I'm a Service Dog" cards for the gatekeepers who get their panties in a twist about a small breed service dog, which has helped a lot. Her SD has luxating patellas, but that doesn't affect her ability to do her job one bit.

My daughter doesn't always leave the cards with them, but has on occasion, when it appears that staff might need something to pass around to familiarize themselves with the law.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2