GO!

Can someone get into trouble for bothering a SDiT while on an outing?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 10:14am PST 
My stepdad likes to bother my husband's SDiT when we are out with Tank and my stepdad sees us. While we are standing there talking to him he will often reach down and grab Tanks muzzle and shake his head back and forth. He will swat him lightly on the shoulder or the side or on an occasion on the rump. I have asked him many MANY times not to do this as it distracts Tank from his job but he will not listen. Tank will try to step away from him because he hates his muzzle messed with like that. He wears a halti so hes used to things being around his muzzle. I just need to know if my hubby and I can get him into trouble for messing with Tank when he is vested. Tanks vest clearly states Service Dog In Training on both sides and the vest is bright blue. His halti is also blue and in green paint on the nose band I wrote DO NOT DISTRACT. I still dont think it is going to help any.
[notify]
Maddox

Captain Three- Legs

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 11:33am PST 
What is the point in trying to get a family member in trouble with the law? Surely this will cause a rift within the family. Faster than trying to incur the wrath of the law, why not just not invite him on your next outing?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 11:41am PST 
Is there perhaps someone else, a friend or family member who might speak on your behalf? Someone who can firmly say "Look you might think teasing this dog is harmless but you're creating a problem".
[notify]

Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 11:55am PST 
My first step would always be to put yourself between your stepfather and Tank. Don't give him access in the way you're standing to him. Have Tank stand at alert behind your husband or down him out of reach. Sometimes this will be enough but rather than treating this like a law issue I think you need to treat it like a dog issue... he's Your dog. If you don't want him messing with him tell him so. This is one of those people you have to cut off contact with our dogs completely. Bringing the law into it on these types of things is never what I feel to be the best idea. This is a family member that you will have to deal with on a continuing basis. Tell him straight off. "No, I need you to not distract him while he's working." Be firm.

Now... as to the info on the law.. it looks like you're in Indiana, if that is the case then you don't have SDiT rights at all, and protection under state law only covers guide dogs, hearing dogs and dogs for physical disabilities.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 2:57pm PST 
We have done that several times when we had Buddy and Katana. He doesnt get the fact that my husband needs Tank to alert him to the panic attacks that come along with his P.T.S.D. After Tank reaches his full size and has the hip and elbow x-rays done he will be starting his mobility training. He already seems to be picking up on the same counter balancing that Katana did. We live in two different towns My step dad lives 8 miles away from us and while there is a walmart close to us in both directions its the one in my step dads town that is more welcoming to SDs. They dont say a word when we come in with the dog for a training run. However we have invited him to go out with us. He refuses to do so but then makes it seem like it was by sheer accident that he ran into us in a store or something. I guess I am going to have to make sure that Tank wears his DO NOT DISTRACT halti every time we go out when we know we might run into him..

In answer to the reason why I am asking this.. He has become more and more of an ass in the four years since my mom passed away. Only two of my four older siblings like him. And he wants to act like Tank is just a well trained pet.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 3:03pm PST 
Grab his face and shake it back and forth, swat him on the rump and shoulder, poke and pester him.

Okay. Maybe don't do that. But he deserves it.

I would just turn around and walk away. Don't say a word, just walk away.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 3:18pm PST 
Yes, Nare has the answer, I definitely would go with thatapplause
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 4:29pm PST 
Just to make sure you got that. If Tank is still a service dog in Training he does not actually have rights under the law to be in business's... and no there are no laws in place to protect him even if he were a full service dog in your state.
[notify]
Roy

Spoiled- Rotten!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 12:13pm PST 
dancing
Nare has it! LOL
IDK what to tell you other than to stay away from dad. I surely wouldn't get the law involved with a family member, tho.
[notify]
Polly

Lolly girl

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 1:11pm PST 
Well this is really wrong. If taking your step-dad aside and having a serious conversation with him (you are an adult and he needs to understand that and show respect) doesn't/hasn't worked you may need to just stay away from him. Do you need this type of person in your lives.

When my Step-dad was alive he was very hateful about Polly, but he never touched her. I understand your stress. We will need to make a hard decision, His abusive behavior towards your SDIT could cause him to wash out. I wish you good luck with what ever you have to do dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2