GO!

Really it Happens :

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:20pm PST 
Really it does happen I hear about it on hear and on FB a lot, about
the family members who just refuse to really except the idea that SDs are allowed in to stores, and other places that their handlers need to go. Even if it is a Guide dog for a blind person. (The state-ment that is stated for arguement to this that they see many other blind people using a cane.) Allergies are the next excues for this belief but then there is the hippercrit part that they are the ones that are telling you that you should get this dog who will help you to have a normal life. What do you do when you have a family member like this. Yes it is a really frustrating delema. Cause though this person is for you they are also against you for the same reasons they are for you. They are angry that you have the dog. they are angry when others put you down for having the dog. they stand up to anyone who downs you for using the dog or having it in your home but turn around and and tell you they just cant support you going in to a store with it even though it is well trained. I hope you are all fallowing what I am talking about. I just have that such a family person in my family and have read a few statements form people here. Sometimes I think people think this is cause there are some people out there who fake the need for a dog with them in places like that. They are not in mind that this is ruining the real need for others to have one. I am saying this cause it is very much so for the blind,hearing and others with obveous reasons of need. As well as the hidden needs of others that would not be able to leave their homes other wise. I hear it so much form someone who can not coherently understand what a SD dose or for.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 10:04am PST 
Sadie I hear you and know where you are coming from. When my husband and I first trained his first SD Buddy my sister was talking about how we didnt need to own a dog. My husband replied "Buddy isnt a pet he is a Service Dog." My sister was very harsh when she said that he wasnt blind so he didnt need a service dog. I was very mean to her when I told her that its not just blind people that have service dogs anymore. I was days away from graduating Buddy when he was taken. Since then I have trained Katana and am now working on training Tank. Even in the midst of all the chaos that is my life right now since Katana died in August and Maggie the 28th of October, I take the time to work with Tank and have taught him some behaviors that most pet dogs dont know. He is coming along well and learning very quickly. Its hard to believe that in two months he will be a year old.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 12:37pm PST 
I remember your storie when you first came here after getting Kantana. I was frustrated with some of the people who were saying neg. stuff about you. I have had days like that since then too.
Most things are really more like what I have dealt with that came form my Daughter. I though have learned about not taking it so personal any more though I know it is hard when it comes form family.
[notify]

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 4:37pm PST 
So true. My real dad hasnt got a clue when it comes to the fact that my husband NEEDS Tank with him because he alerts him to on coming panic attacks and has found a way to help ground him until the attack is over.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 1:01pm PST 
I don't think I am a very good teacher of the SD laws and I feel I just should not try if proplr want to be ignorent or choose to be so I am not going to try to convince them diff.
It is really very frustrating for me when I really don't know how to comunicate with people.
I am verbolly capable, I am intelegently able to form the words, but I guess to use words that work to make someone to understand me. I speak english well enough I am sure (I mean I am an american born and born in Maine How american can I be?). A good deal of the time I am really disocaitive (meaning I wont or really can't communicate with people.) not that I physically can't it is like my brain wont allow me to do so. I have days and some times weeks and months that this can happen. I may answer people simple questions or yes and no questions. I mentally blow people off I guess that is best to say it. Some people are effended most understand why I do that it is not them personal just me and just that I am over welmed with something. I do this most of the time when I am over welmed. Most PTSD people become over loaded with by contact with everyday people, for some it can be very mentally over welming to take in all of it. This is what I have learned over the years since I know about my condition and what it all means. Why I do what I do etc. Of corse I know the cause and the simptoms of it.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 4:56pm PST 
I have been away for a while just trying to get some of my stuff together. I just want to get some of my cards done. Again I went to get my C-pap new mask, now I am using a nose mask I guess they call it. I was looking at the bracelets and neckless for emergency alerts, it made me think again about my prodjects I've been working on. Sadie has been really being more attentive to me and alerting to me a lot. My blood sugars have been a bit high and running that way for a while. I have been working on getting them down. I noticed to that I am less then toleralble of other things and people even contact with such. So sadie's alerts were quiet annoying to me. But accerat to say the least and I was happy but also frustrated too. Not at her though at myself cause I was so annoyed that she was doing her job. I will also have to find another PA too. cause the one I had moved away form my area. So as I said my tasks lately have been are to get my cards done for Emergency cards.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 10:27am PST 
Hey I am working on trying to get out again with Sadie I really have been sick and things have not been really going well for Sadie and I since I can't take her with me when I am with my worker.
it has been a real struggle. I am getting a new PA I hope and they have a car so I can really start working better with sadie going in to places like I was before. I think this will really do great for her and I both.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Dec 29, '12 10:35am PST 
I have been away for a while and catching up on here about what is going on and what is new etc.
There are some and still older members here still. Sadie and I have been snowed in finally winter is looking like Maine again. Sadie loves the snow and it is amazing to see a short haired dog like sadie loving it so. She has been snorting up a storm since the cold white flakes have fallen down on us. I think God missed his mark though since I really wanted to see this stuff on christmas not the day after lol. Any way IT dose happen every now and then that we get it later or earlyer then we want it. LOL, in this it did come a day late. My room mate (the man Sadie called her dad moved out lil over a month ago and she is a bit down. Yeah I don't think many think that dogs can get depressed. But It dose happen! She is really punishing me up a storm for making him move away but for our (his and mine ) mental health I had to make him move away. He is doing well I am told by friends and himself. But Sadie is as I said is not so happy she has been tearing up my chair and bed ( what I mean is tearing in to the bed and chair litterly) like her jumping I have been working dillentgently to make her stop it. I hope soon she will over come her behavyor and what ever else before I have no bed and chair. Since those really are the only furniture I own.
I am going back yet again working on her unpleasent behavyor.
Wish me luck!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:10pm PST 
Ok I think that a few of you might find this a lil less then frustrating let alone just down right mind blowing. So my daughter whom might I add has been one of my most frustraingly supporting persons/ Agravating neg. denouncers for SD working users. She is like You can't have that dog in where you have food etc. Stuff. Now she come in and starts telling me about this person who trains Allergie Dogs and how they have to be sent out of country etc. for training etc. And how they can't this and that I am like OK what ever not that I thinking she is lying all together or missin formed but that she is just starting to get it. That there a many kinds of dogs that are being used for many different things. Also that would mean that the dogs will be going in to places like restraunts and places like that to do their job. I don' think that she gets it still. I was trying to exsplain that too but she she still was not going to hear it. Really how can we win with that kind of thing.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:27pm PST 
Yeah, I ran into this too for a while but eventually most family members finally shut up about it. Especially when they see how much you're being helped. Give it time. You're still pretty new at this. And if they don't ever change, there's not really anything you can do but just stand your ground.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3