GO!

"he's a service dog"...

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 7:17pm PST 
Anyone else HATE how when you're doing some regular off duty dog activity with some other pet owner and you just throw it out there "Oh he knows how to open that he's a service dog"

they're all like "aww your dog is a therpay dog how sweet"

"No. He's a SERVICE dog"

I said that to a person training a guide poodle at a dog show and she did the therapy dog line and i sternly corrected her saying they 2 aren't the same thing and that she should know that, then walked away.

No you didn't mishear me.

I never said the word "therapy" Don't think in your head "oh theres no reason this person would need a service dog, they must have meant therapy dog" that is rude. Another big thing I hate is when people (DON'T ask) but tell their kid or whoever they're with "oh look shes training that dog." "look that's going to be someone's guide dog some day" "don't bother that dog it's in training" I ant to get a BIG patch that says "I AM NOT IN TRAINING"

/end rant (this is after several days of this fedup-ness with the world building up. I feel better now)
[notify]
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 9:29pm PST 
A bunch of friends were over the other day, and some of them brought their friends, so I had Mario off duty so he could go say hi to his fan club lol. This one ditz though, just grabbed him, lucky him being a small dog she didn't get peed on or her lip bit off, and said, "who's dog is this, 'cause I'm stealing him."

....Um, mine, but good luck, he's a service dog, and I'd bring felony charges against you. To which she responded "o.o He's a REAL service dog? How are you disabled, what does he do?" No, I totally just lied to you for absolutely no reason, and now I'm going to just give up private medical information to some ditz I don't even know. Then got into the whole, "I should get one just like him and have a SD too!" Are you disabled? "OF COURSE NOT!"

*Headdesk*
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 10:07pm PST 
I always get the "Oh look she's training that dog!" when working Sita. Of course it'll be true when Tia starts public work, but Sita is trained. No I'm not training her for someone else. Yes, she is for me. No I'm not deaf (obviously I just heard you ask the question DUH!!). No I'm not blind. No you can't just buy a vest & take your dog everywhere (yeah, I get that question A LOT!) No she won't bite you (although I might!) & no that's not a muzzle (her halti). Sigh. So many uninformed people out there.
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 11:03pm PST 
It seems like a lot of people don't know what the difference is in the terms service dog and therapy dog, a lot of people confuse the two terms so they may just be confused. Although you'd think the person with a guide dog would know the difference. I know I've had people call my dogs service dogs when they obviously knew y dogs visit hospitals and do animal assisted therapy, and I've had friends who know my dogs' work use the word therapy dog to refer to a dog they knew was a service dog/guide dog not therapy dog. So it may just be mixing up terms in some cases.
I have also had people mistake my dogs for service dogs when in therapy dog gear or even just wearing a pet dog backpack. shrug
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 4:52am PST 
I was going thru my junk drawer the other day and found a Therapy dog tag from TDI that was issued to one of my therapy dogs years ago.
On the front it says, "I am a Therapy dog". On the back it says, "Service dog, do not pet."
If an organization like TDI doesn't know the difference we are fighting an uphill battle!!!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 5:40pm PST 
How can I say this delically the woman sounds like the horse rear end that Landlords the builden out back of my apt. builden. LOL He yeld at my Land about how she could have such a vishious dog in her apt. building. For a woman/ Landlord that did not even want me to have the dog here she sure stuck up for my SD. But the point here is the fact that, that dizs that said that to you sounds like him makes me wonder if they are related LOL. I have had to argue with him on several Occations that she was indeed a service dog and he was in her area and that there was something rong with him and he needed to get off her area. This last time he ask for me to show him papers to prove I told him that I did not need to just cause he wanted his own proof. It was a need to know bases and he did not need to know. Not only could I sue him for that but also for threats to my service dog again he argued and I told him if he really was going to do this I could call the police and most of the police in my town know that she is a SD. His exact words he was going to put my dog down for barking at him. I told him to stop tormenting her and that I was going to save him time and call the police my self. That it was a federal affence to bother a service dog. He came by and appologised to my Landlord lol. I don't care that he did not appologized to me. I would not have accepted.
[notify]
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 5:46pm PST 
I hear the "oh what organization are you training your puppy for?" Sometimes when I just dont want to deal with the disability questions I say im not training for an organization but there is a guide dogs for the blind group here. Usually it deters them enough from asking whats wrong with me and why I need a service dog. I am working on being more open about my disability but sometimes I just dont want to deal with all the questions and would rather distract them. It does get somewhat frustrating when a lot of people ask or assume that you couldnt possibly be training the dog for yourself.
[notify]
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 7:07pm PST 
I hear the "oh what organization are you training your puppy for?" Sometimes when I just dont want to deal with the disability questions I say im not training for an organization but there is a guide dogs for the blind group here. Usually it deters them enough from asking whats wrong with me and why I need a service dog. I am working on being more open about my disability but sometimes I just dont want to deal with all the questions and would rather distract them. It does get somewhat frustrating when a lot of people ask or assume that you couldnt possibly be training the dog for yourself.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 8:11am PST 
This post reminds me of what happened to me the other day when being confronted by the guy that owns the builden next door to me. He is the Landlord to that place. I will just summer rise what went down. He got in to sadie's area and Sadie was off duty ( thats would be the key word she was off duty) Theses buildens are so close together here you could spit in to your next door neighbors apt. who dose he think he is kidding. My land lord was forced by Law to have her here and Sadie has proven that she is not a bad dog or dangerous (toward children let alone people) There is just simple something wrong with him (I am told a lot) . Granted Sadie is very close to his area too (hence the fact that the buildens are close together) and we cant help that fact. My Landlord is very teritoral herself, and that dose not make her dangerous. (I hope LOL) Or it just may be the fact that Sadie is so smart that she is just telling people that this is her (poo area).
( she loudly expesses this too) Either way Sadie has proven herself as a well proven SD and erned her right to be called this title. Sadie has been moved though and happer for it. The point is that
Sadie is and has worked hard for her title as a SD. What she dose and how she dose it off duty is really not in question here. When she is on her lead (less I am out there) she is off duty. She has that right to not be a SD sometimes. This guy obveously dose not know what a SD is about.
The other day a friend of my Daughters came to pick me up to visit my daughter and stay over night. She watched Sadie as I put her in to her gear ( Sadie is such a spaz when she is not in gear)
But the min. sadie was in gear she stopped being a spaz. My daughters friend expressed how amazing sadie was to do this. Going form a spaz dog to a working dog. She expressed this to my Daughter and her other friends cause since this person had just be come friends with Sadie, she has expereanced Sadies love (that is quiet over welming sometimes). Sadie is a jumper though I spend a lot of time trying to curve this behavyor(and she still jumps up on people to greet them). I say a lot cause it really is a lot of time on this spisific thing for Sadie. I told these people about the guy next door and about what he said about Sadie. They were all flustered cause that same night this person that took me to see my daughter had other friends that had never seen Sadie either at all there. I can see and understand how people here feel when their SDs are in questioned to being a SD and have had to argue the deal out with others that have no clue about a SD or what they are about. I am sure he has no clue to the fact there are many types of SDs.
It is nice when someone you know are deffending you when after you have had to deffend yourself in the past with the same person, who is deffending you. I hope you all can understand what I am saying as well as my meaning to this post. Family can be family sometimes and making them understand is hard enough but to have someone you love stand up for you is so great to feel good about it.
[notify]
~Missy~SD~CG- N

~Passed my CGN- test June 17th- 2012~

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 9:19pm PST 
I got that as well the other day from a coffee shop lady, she told her co-worker who told me no dogs allowed that "its ok she is the trainier and she is training her" then she asked "when will you have to give her up" I have given up answering this question every week by the next cashier at this coffee shop,lol.

At the movies a few weeks ago a lady told her son that I was training my dog for some one who's deaf,lol.

But the best is when I was asked by a man on the bus last week "are those patches real on her vest??"

I tell you
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3