GO!

Motivating a dog in training

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 11:46am PST 
we have a dog for our son a masstiff that is 6 weeks from graduation
And she is showing lack of intreats in the task. She has the ability,but has hit a rough spot as we work her more.I need help
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 12:04pm PST 
It's funny that you posted this today, because I had an Ah-Ha moment at the dog park yesterday with Tia. Tia is very food motivated, but occasionally, there is too many other exciting things going on for her to focus. We had the dog park to ourselves yesterday. There were some kids playing in the playground next to the dog park & she found that distracting. We worked with food rewards for a few minutes, but she wanted to do other things, so postponed training for a bit. Tia ran around & found a work glove that someone had left. She thought it was the best thing in the world!! It really held her focus & we were able to work on some new activities (yesterday it was going through the plastic tunnels for the first time). So I'm learning that the best motivator is something that the dog picks out that they find irresistible! Try out different toys or different foods to find out what she will do ANYTHING for. For Sita, it's dehydrated lamb lung. I think she would rob a bank to get some.
[notify]