GO!

Unpolite SD?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Jesse

Don\'t Give Up

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 4:41am PST 
At my work I come in contact with lots of people. A few times I have seen a young lady with an SD. She has never approached me for help or come my way until a few days ago. She asked for my help and so I got her what she needed. the dog was well behaved and seemed to be doing what she was supposed to. At one point I had to bend over and sort through some boxes. the dog proceeded to step closer to me and stick her nose up to my face. The dog is a doberman and I am not very tall so getting to my face was easy. The handler made no attempt to move the dog or say anything. I had some heavy boxes in my hand. Would it have been appropriate to ask her to move the dog so I could stand up? I had to slightly touch the dog and push so she would move enough for me to get up. I also said excuse me. the handler didn't seem to notice or she just didn't say anything. I don't know if the dog smelled my dog or what but after that, as we were walking around, she kept leaning and bumping on me. It didn't bother me except for it sort of made what I was doing a challenge. Heavy boxes plus a large leaning dog could be a problem. I haven't encountered many SDs in my area but when I do I respectfully address the person not the dog and do my best to stay out of the way. Never have one of the other dogs approached me. they always were focused on the handler. Is this normal behavior for an SD and what should I do in a situation like this?
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:42am PST 
Voltaire sometimes sneaks an ear lick/kiss when someone bends down in front of him. I suppose I would giggle but not address the dog in any way. it's up to their handler if they want to correct the dog or laugh along with you. But Don't address the dog because you don't want to re-enforce anything without the handler's permission.
[notify]