GO!

The on going struggle of being an SD handler:

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 10:32am PST 
This has come up a lot when I have come in to this website and Blog area. The struggles and lonelyness of being a lonely Sd Handler.
I have thought a lot about this post and how to word and what to say as I posted it. I wonder if other exspeance the lonelyness that I do of being a SD handler in a area that has few others Like my self. I only a few times have run in to other service dogs but never get to talk to the other handler, cause we are always in a hurry with our own duties. I would like to hear form people that are in maine that use Service dogs it would be a lot easer if I were say in Bangor since I know a few SD users there. Bangor though is far away for me. I had thought often of making a trip up to bangor by the bus but found it to be a stressing ordeal for me since I remebered how crowded it got before I had sadie with me.
These are some of my struggles of being a SD handler as well the lonelyness of it. I have heard of other people and their socail exspearances with in groups of SD handler and envey the activitie
of that. As I said being in maine let a lone down in the eastern part of it not so much a eatern local but east west or something like that. I am sorta stuck in between you know. Close to but still to far form this or that place. Ellsworth is sorta one of those blink and you miss it places, but you still have to go through it to get to the place you need to get to. I have contiplated on moving closer to one place or another but still the places I want to be are still quite small and don't have the compasitie of having a socail possiblities of running in to someone like me. But I do very often wonder and think about how I would like to have someone that is struggling socailly like myself.
I love having Sadie cause she has made my life a lot easyer.
Though my illness seems to have its pitfalls and high lights Sadie is a constant factor in my life and a comfort too.
I have not had too many challengers if non at all though I struggle with a few friends and family about what I can and can't do or where or where not I can go. The stigma that they feel when I use Sadie etc. I have read this many times here as well as the the sadness of loosing a SD partner. I would like to hear about all this form others here if you could take time to do so.
I would like to learn what other exspearance out there. Exspecailly if you are in a small town like myself or even better in Maine. So please take the time to respon to this post and be sincer about your respons.

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 11:56am PST

Approved by forums moderator
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 9:19am PST 
Sadie my family is located in a backwater rural area as well. That being said we know where you are coming from. When we trained my husbands last two SDs we found that one of the two Walmart stores close to us were really bad about pulling a person from the register to follow us around the store. The other store is great they all know us and when we come in with the dog (s) they only ask if he/she is a new dog we are training. There were a couple cashiers that just loved Katana. One of them just happens to be my cousin. She asked me the other day where Katana was and when I told her she cried. She gave me a hug and told me how sorry she was to hear about his passing. We havent taken Tank in yet because we are still getting his behaviors the way we want them. Tank is doing really well however and handles being around people far better than I do. The hubby loves working with Tank after classes. As soon as we get his papers filled out for the collage he will be the only SD on campus. There are only two other SD teams that I have seen in my area. One is a beautiful Golden guide dog and the other is a white boxer hearing ear dog. Its amazing to watch the hearing dog work. But I pity the guide because his handler is really rough with him. I have seen her yank hard enough on the leash to make him yelp because he needed to potty before they went into the bank. As for family members, my ex-step-dad likes to grab the dogs by the muzzle and shake their heads back and forth,or he will swat them on the nose. I tell him time and again that he cant do that but he does it anyway. It makes me so mad at him that I want to box him on the nose but he would have me locked up before I could blink because I "struck a disabled person." Believe me it just burns me up. When we were working Katana my father would make all kinds of rude comments about how we just had to take that damned dog everywhere. Katana was a blessing and his passing has left our lives pretty empty. Just hoping that when Tank starts work he will not have as many people running the other way because he looks more lab than German Shepherd
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 1:05pm PST 
I can relate to the sadness of any animal with in a family weather it be a pet or SD. A friend of mine and Sadie just lost their pet. He was a dog Sadie had play dates a few times. He was hit by a construction truck a few days ago. Awsome dog not that I am drawn and loved him for his name sake since he had the same as my pet dog I had to not long ago had to put to sleep.
I got Sadie cause of how she looked because of this dog too. The dog was of the same smaller version of Sadie's breed. A bully breed that is. As like this post a lot of people frown about the idea I would choose to use a bully breed to have for a SD. I have had a lot of health issues and have not been able to get out that much. So sadie has not gotten out either I do have to do that since she gets a lil impaients with me lately when I do get a chance to get out with her. I was going to call a trainer I have on call to help me with this new behavyior. He does remodification training though he thinks Sadie is very well trained. Since he trains police dogs I thought that was a complament. Thank you for responding by the way Tank.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 1:26pm PST 
I find dealing with every day struggles a tyering thing. some days I just dont want to get up. It is soon to be winter here in maine, The cold weather is going to be scary and a struggle with day to day life too. I was born in maine so I know this is the way it will be nd I chose to stay here so this is how it just is. Sadie can help me with most my stuff and she does well doing so. She is 4 years old now wow!!!!! time passes does it not? Wow the other day I was thinking and typing and it just hit me; How just not so long ago I got her and she was just this wired up puppy that just spazed out when someone she loves walks through the door. How she was not well be haved and did all the things dogs that age did, I had thought God what I am doing with this thing.LOL Well as you all know and probably been through as I worked with her she became the dog I needed and wanted as a SD. But now I look at her and just can not comprehend that she ever was unrully at all.She still has the puppy spunk but it is well under control now and she just has bonded so well that she just know what I need before I know myself. SOme feel that might be a bad thing but I dont cause sometimes I don't know what I need or want till I have it. Most the time I find it hard enough to be touched or comforted, Guess that is my PTS working in. Sadie keeps it real that is the best thing I can say. Guess it would just be a happyer time I think if I had some one to share all this with, All you people here on Dogster are so cool just to say that I am happy with the people here that post on my forums. Tells me that I am not alone with my struggles that are the same as theirs. The summer has been a lil ruff though Sadie has had ichy issues I think alergies to bug bites like sand fleas. She has non on her but they still bite her and leave her to ich. Its going around I am told. I have started working on my stuff that I wanted to work on with my new printer. I have not figured out how to do the pamphlets yet but working through that. Pics are hard to incorpret in to a hand out flyer like thing. I am working on also my ID cards that will help with energency info. I have not been able to get a bracelet or necklace that IDs my diabeties.
I have been well patching the vest and equipment I use so when Ido go out that she is well seen as a SD. I just do not feel comfortable with quest and find I get less when she has a lot of patches
out in plain view.Though I really have not had many people bother me about sadie and the fact I use her as a SD. I just feel I want to be perpared for when I do get a chalenge. So that is my up date about what Ive been up to and been working on. I would really like to hear what others are up to it make my life less lonely and give me ideas and insperation on hew things.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 3:23pm PST 
It can be a major hassle. Tanks brother Mojo came to visit this past weekend and he has a really bad rash looking thing on his face and one back leg and looks like is gotten worse when I mentioned it to his owner she explained that when she puts him in his outdoor run he will stand out in the rain and not go into the part of the run that is closed in complete with a dog house. She cant leave him in the house because he isnt house trained but he goes outside to potty here with no problems. I would love to keep him but cant do it. He is a lot more of a mess than Katana was. Tank is doing really well though loves training and going out. He cant be on campus yet because the hubby has to get some statements from his doctors at the VA and we have to update his rabies shot. Gotta give the brat a bath too. He needs one. He doesnt get car sick at all and doesnt mind going into places with slick floors like Katana did. I just need time to get everything done around home.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 7:35pm PST 
Sadie's comes form the tall grass and Sand around here. She dose not have fleas but I think it is cause she rolls in those places. I have been giving her some natural baths with a oatmeal shampoo.
I also give her a raw mixture in her food Of : carrots, eggs other raw veggies as well as garlic and apples. It seems to help her a lil, she iches less.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 12:49pm PST 
May have to try that when Mojo comes back again in a couple weeks. Tank doesnt have the issue so I know its not Mange. Just looks really bad. I will also give him a bath again.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 4:08pm PST 
Sadie's was pretty bad too but she is doing a lot better I have been doing the bath with feeding her garlic and other raw foods that are good for the skin. I feed it with her dry foods: I do a mix of carrots,olive oil, garlic and apples, tuna. I add some egg too with that. I some times give her a lil beer cause it has the yeast in it. Alot of people frown on this cause she is a SD but I have asked her vet about it and he says it would do her good if it was not a lot. Witch I don't give her a whole lot.
This has been the first time I have had this skin issue with her and know it to be that of the sand fleas form the sand she rolls in and bugs form the long grass that she runs and rolls in.
They dont stay on her cause she has that short fur and I have a flea collar on her all the time and bath her as well as treat her with the many natural stuff I have at home. I also believe that the stuff I put in her food is a great help too.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 10:29am PST 
Where dose the time go!!! wow Sadie is 4 years old now she is starting to really get in to the SD life style now. It just seems to have gone so fast the time that is. I just sometime wonder how she went form a frustrating pup that could not seem to pay attention to very well behaved dog. It is just so strange. I have begun training her for more tasks that I could not do before cause of her wily way lol. She has done a lot but now she seems more on top then she was. I did not believe of you that age makes a differents but it really dose. Her matchurety really dose make that tasks I taught her better and the ones I am teaching her now for too. SHe is also a better size to work on her mobility task too. she likes and still gets excited when I bring out her vest and packs. I have put patches on all of her equipment like that and have more patches for other packs when I get them done. I am working on make shift vest and packs as I go as well as still work on emergent cards and info to go in her packs. They are really proffesstional work of if I do say so myself.
I like how they are working out I would like to say that.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 6:41pm PST 
It is time to put something in here I have a lot going on here we are in the middle of a hurricane.
Of corse sadie wanted to go and check it all out. LOL, She got all that today cause she got to see a lg. breed like herself a St. Barnard. A friend I have not seen in a while came with his rescued St. Barnard. She was so happy to see a dog larger then herself. It is amazing sometimes to see a larger breed then your own. I just think about the breeds that make sadie/ Sadie. She has many breeds that make the American Staff. Bull dog / the English Bull mastiff mix. I sometimes wonder if people really stop and admire the looks of their SD and the breed or breeds that make them who they are? The St. Barnard was a lot Taller (bigger) then Sadie but it I have a feeling she was the runt of the litter if that means she is just going to be small for her breed. She 4 now so I am told that means she is full grown then. I don't see much about people talking about there SDs breed or breeds. How they like the looks and how they are glad that they had this dog and why.
I love Sadie and I am glad that she is the breeds she is, though I get a lot of flake about her potental of being a dangerous breed etc. I just saw a commertial about dogs being like the people who take the personalitie of their owners who adopt them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4