GO!

Illinois law for SDiT

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 1:51pm PST 
Can someone tell me if Illinois grants public access to service dogs being owner trained?
I was under the impression that they had no access rights because I looked around a while ago and thought I read that it was program trainers only. But I can't find that info anymore.
But today I found this-

"Every totally or partially blind, hearing impaired, person who is subject to epilepsy or other seizure disorders, or otherwise physically disabled person or a trainer of support dogs, guide dogs, seizure-alert dogs, seizure-response dogs, or hearing dogs shall have the right to be accompanied by a support dog or guide dog especially trained for the purpose, or a dog that is being trained to be a support dog, guide dog, seizure-alert dog, seizure-response dog, or hearing dog, in any of the places listed in this Section without being required to pay an extra charge for the guide, support, seizure-alert, seizure-response, or hearing dog; provided that he shall be liable for any damage done to the premises or facilities by such dog."
[notify]
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 2:20pm PST 
According to the quote you posted, if you are physically disabled, have a seizure disorder, are hearing impaired or visually impaired then you have access rights to train your dog in public. However if you have a mental impairment then you are not allowed to train your dog in public. I hope this helps!
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 2:37pm PST 
But wouldn't "support dog" cover other disabilities not specifically listed? Or is that supposed to mean physical support? It's kinda vague..
[notify]

Baja

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 2:54pm PST 
I would assume support dog means for the physically disabled. Since mental impairment is not listed at all in the quote it means any psychiatric service dog in training is not given public access rights and would not fall under support dog.
[notify]
Baja

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 2:54pm PST 
I would assume support dog means for the physically disabled. Since mental impairment is not listed at all in the quote it means any psychiatric service dog in training is not given public access rights and would not fall under support dog.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 11:24pm PST 
I asked about this a while back, this thread might help your question some:

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Service_and_Therapy_Dogs/thre ad/696631
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 11:40pm PST 
Thank you for linking to that Ginger. I wish the wording wasn't so confusing.
[notify]
Holly

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 4:04pm PST 
Another place to look for laws is at

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusilguidedoglaws.htm

O nce you find the citation number, you can use it to find the actual law from your state... that way you are up to date on the law in your state.
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 4:29pm PST 
Holly - that site is where I found the quote I posted above.
I'm still confused lol.. but I will just assume that I do not have any access rights with a PSD in training.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:18pm PST 
Yeah it's too bad that it is so confusing! From what I could tell and what other people responded in the post when I asked about it before, it seems to be excluding PSDs in training from the way it is written...
I don't know if it was written that way on purpose or if it was inadvertent. I don't know why they don't just say "service dog" instead of listing a couple of types of them.
Although it seems like they may have changed the law, if the quote you gave is the actual law, because it mentions "support dogs" and the one I quoted in my older post did not use the term "support dogs" at all, so perhaps you could argue that "support dogs" could include PSD dogs-- not sure. thinking Although in that case it seems like it would only apply to a trainer because they still mention "physically disabled person" which would still seem to leave out those who are training PSDs for themselves? It would be nice if it was more clear...
I wonder if there is anyone you can contact to clarify this type of thing?
[notify]