GO!

Access challenge at Dollar Tree

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Romeo

ICan'tHelpButNot- iceYouNoticedI'm- APoodle.

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 9:06am PST 
This happened a few months back and I'm still afraid to go back in there...

My sister and I went into dollar tree to pick up some cheap snacks before we went to the movies (sshh don't tell we sneak snacks into the movies! LOL). I went in with Romeo. Florida laws give SDiTs all the access that a fully trained SD has. I went in and while my sister looked for snacks, I practiced with Romeo. An employee walked up and said "Um, mam you can't have a dog in here unless it's a seeing eye dog" I said, He is a service dog in training and by Florida law I have public access rights. She gave me a nasty looks and a lonnggg sigh followed by storming off back to the cash register like a four year old. Then the manager saw me from far away and yelled across the store "That isn't a seeing eye dog and it needs identification on!" I walked over to her and showed her that Romeo DOES have a vest on, but explained by law under the ADA he doesn't HAVE to have a vest on. I told her a seeing eye dog is an organization that trains GUIDE DOGS, and Romeo isn't even a guide dog. He is for a different disability and that no matter what the disability is she has to allow all SD and SDiTs in dollar tree.

So this is the crazy part...

The cashier lady said over the intercom "We're CLOSING get to the register with your stuff" so me and my sister went and checked out (we were the only two in the store at the time), but we knew they weren't closing for another 30 minutes. After we walked out the door, two people walked in to the store we had just left....

they were not closed. They did that to get us and Romeo out.

I was very mad, and couldn't even make myself go to the movies after that because I was to upset and panicked.
[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 9:31am PST 
I think you wrote this post well and could use it to write the Dollar Tree management:
http://www.dollartree.com/custserv/contactus.jsp
subje ct - questions and concerns with a Dollar Tree Store..
or call them and ask where to address the complaint to:
24/7 Customer Support: 1-877-530-TREE (8733)

Feel free to send my flyer as info material. Also add the name of the store, describe the people or even provide names, time, etc.
Some people are just nasty.. Good luck and sorry that happened to you.
Warm wishes, Jolanda and sonja

Edited by author Mon May 23, '11 9:33am PST

Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 9:48am PST 
I consistently have issues with Dollar Tree! Even yesterday in fact the lady wanted to argue with me until I said I have ADA info that she could read about it.
I think I am calling corporate too.
[notify]

Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 9:49am PST 
Eating the double post!
Tasty nom!

Edited by author Mon May 23, '11 9:56am PST

[notify]
Romeo

ICan'tHelpButNot- iceYouNoticedI'm- APoodle.

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 9:51am PST 
I think I'm going to write a letter or email or something to whoever is in charge... that should not have happened. Though, because he's only in training they probably won't take it seriously. Ugh...
[notify]
Max-SD

https://www.face- book.com/Sequoia- sMaximum

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 10:45am PST 
We've never had problems at our Dollar Tree. A Dollar General once gave me some guff but I am firm when it comes to my rights even if I have a breakdown once it's all over. I would call corporate.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 11:02am PST 
Ok this post tells me not to go to Dollar tree stores. I dont do well with confrontations I know that giving in to working with a SD put me in that position. But I am still at the point that any confrontation hightens my disability. I am still dealing with the highten General Anxiety I have so I plan to avoid it if I can. I have for now cause of training issues with sadie that are slowly being resolved not been working her. I feel that is important that I make sure that Sadie is Bomb proof be for I try Public access again. But Reading now two diff. Chalange issues I am wondering how I will deal myself let alone Sadie when the time is at hand to use her again.
[notify]
Makaveli PSDIT

I Can Has Lovin'- Nao?

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 11:03am PST 
Yes, call corporate. What they did to you was NOT RIGHT and they violated your civil rights by saying the store was closed therefore forcing you to leave! They cannot discriminate based on your disability. They also failed to allow you access with your SDIT who was protected by your state law. So they voilated both the state law and your civil rights! Corporate really needs to know about this so that all of the employees and the manager involved can be reprimanded.Shame on them naughty
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 11:31am PST 
COOTOS! Mack well said ...
[notify]
Maizie Moo

Yup, I'm a- fashion diva,- DEAL!

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 2:46pm PST 
Idiots. Grrrr. Go back there, stand your ground. AND make a formal complaint in the meantime!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3