GO!

Few more questions and a bit of a rant

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Chiqoe

Bone Burglar- Extraordinaire

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 11:54pm PST 
Another I just found in Saskatchewan : http://www.myspace.com/animalassistants
another in Ottawa: http://www.asist-assister.ca/default.html
this is the BC one i forgot about: http://www.westcoastteams.com/

and thats every single one i know of.
[notify]
Chiqoe

Bone Burglar- Extraordinaire

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 12:01am PST 
Service Dog Laws and Qualifications in Alberta:
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=2008_197.cfm&leg_typ e=Regs&isbncln=9780779736270
This is pretty clearly saying that only dogs taught/trained by a trained certified by ADI are legit service dogs covered by the following laws:
Service dog laws in Alberta:
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=S07P5.cfm&leg_type=A cts&isbncln=9780779737895

And a very informative Alberta Service Dogs FAQ:
http://www.seniors.alberta.ca/CSS/sda/FAQs.asp#02
hope this helps clear things up.

Edited by author Sat Aug 21, '10 12:02am PST

[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 6:42am PST 
I know there are a few people with owner-trained PSDs in Cananda who are on the Psychiatric Service Dog Society listserv. You might want to try joining there and talking with them about how they did it.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 7:49pm PST 
Interesting comment about Thames Centre service Dogs, and, couldn't be further from our experience...we have 2 Service dogs for our 2 children who have significant multiple exceptionalities, Elizabeth Baker, owner of Thames centre was amazing with our children, and the dogs she trained for our kids. Our children are able to attend school with their dogs, and all are doing amazingly well. I have nothing but gratitude and much respect for the service and we have incredible dogs for our amazing kids. Our school is thrilled with both Elizabeth Baker, her specific school certification and training, and support she has offered to help make this a great experience for our dogs and our kids. I was shocked to read this comment, and, felt the need to share our much different experience. We are also in touch with other clients who are equally impressed with Thames Centre Service Dogs.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 2:14pm PST 
I understand your frustration Rick cause I sorta went through that same rout.
I had not at first wanted to go a long with my Doc. who insisted I get a SD. unlike a lot of people here I had very good doctors who all agreed that I did indeed need a SD.
I looked in to a program with in my state but was miles away form me.
I filled out a applacation and was turned down cause of my finances and transportation iss.
But after asking the director of the program she told me that I could OT my own dog.
So I began looking in to that and found out how easy and cheeper for me (being well better in my budget)
to train my own SD. I looked in to shelters and etc. for a Dog and ended up looking at an add form Uncle Henry's where I found Sadie. I fallowed a lot of the suggests here after by accident finding this site.
I also found out that in Maine at the town office where I lived. I did not have to pay to license my dog if the dog was used and documented as a SD. I had to get my three prime care takers right on a applacation form the town that the dog in deed was perscribed to me. I did all this and papers form a vet saying she had had all her shot and had seen a qualified vet. Living in a small town (lol) that was easy to prove since I took her to a vet I had used for my now deseaced pet dog. I also bought a harness Vest for her that had the patch stating she was a SD. I don't go out much but I do walk around my neighbor hood and in to pet store that allows pets. She does very well and I do sometimes go in to small stores with her too. With my trainer I also go in to some other stores. ( A quired 2 different trainers during this time. ) The trainers gave me a deal on their coasts because I was on a fixed income. I went with private trainers cause these people worked with me in my home. One of my trainers also valenteers at the local ASPC and made the deal of 1/2 his price and he told me he was donating my payments to him to a local people homeless shelter. I felt that was a kind thing for him to do. He was very good with Sadie and had met her twice before working with her and complamented me on her well behaved manner.
This is how Sadie became a SD in Maine.
[notify]
Winchester

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 12:18pm PST 
I am the owner of Thames Centre Service Dogs and I have NEVER scammed anyone out of any fees. Our service dogs have never cost $5,000. and would be ludicrous to charge such a low fee for the enormous amount of training involved. I do not know who this person is speaking of (Chiquo)but I advise strenuously to get your facts straight before a lawsuit for slander is undertaken.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 1:21pm PST 
Ah, Winchester.

This is the danger of surfing the 'net looking for negative mentions of your company to respond to. This is a thread that was last posted to in December, when a fan, or perhaps employee, of yours revived it, and the comment you're threatening to sue over was posted two years ago.

You and your fan/employee have ensured that a lot more people will see it than would have otherwise.

Also, if you try to sue, you may find that lawyers and the courts are less interested than you imagine in two-year-old negative comments on a dog forum.

Edited by author Fri Feb 10, '12 1:23pm PST

[notify]
Zoe

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 3:42pm PST 
Yup ... what Addy said. Also, you cannot sue for slander. The term you are looking for is "libel". Also, while you can sue for libel, you will not win such a suit. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I won't go through the VERY long list of reasons it is virtually impossible to win such a suit.

That aside, Chiquoe is allowed to have his/her opinion, and this sort of response just makes you and your organization look bad. Empty threats of legal action in a public venue are ridiculous. If you're serious about legal action, this is not the place to discuss it.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 9:07am PST 
I am in maine I had to just have two of my Dr. sighn a slip that I got form the town gov. office saying that I am under a Dr. advisement of getting the dog. Usually I am sent a tag but his year they did not send one so I have to go down and get it. No problem really have had to do it before. I was told I had to only do this once so I am good as long as Sadie lives. Though when I retire her I will have to go through this again.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 26, '13 8:21am PST 
Info on service dogs in Alberta - check out FB page for Thames Centre Service Dogs. Owner/Director seems to be taking up a discrimination battle with Alberta on the topic.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2