GO!

Service Dogs of America-- another scam!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 6:51pm PST 
Looks like our old friend bringyourdoganywhere.com has a new business name now. It is Service Dogs America. Only this time around, you don't even have to select your disability from the drop-down menu of disabilities. Just check a box saying your dog is well behaved and give them $250-- voila! instant service dog.

People, don't fall for this scam!

Just a reminder that a service dog must fufill three requirements. First, they must be assisting someone with a life-limiting disability. Second, they must be trained to do work or tasks to mitigate the disability. Third, they must be trained to behave in public. There is no requirement for certification, however if you want certification and want it to mean anything, go to an in-person trainer and have them evaluate you.
[notify]
Mordecai-Ret- ired SD

Missing my SD- friends!

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 7:14pm PST 
If someone does fall prey to one of these scams(like I did) I hope not this one because it is WAY expensive. You could get a raspberry field vest and SARA "certification" for about $100. $250 is crazy!!
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 7:17pm PST 
Oh no! I'm so sorry you fell for one of these scams, Mordecai! I hope it wasn't one of the super expensive ones you fell for. I understand when you're first starting out training your own dog that things are pretty confusing and overwhelming, and it is sad to me that so many people don't find websites like dogster or other listservs or groups that can help them avoid these scams. I very nearly bought a SARA registration when we started out, even.
[notify]

Laura-SD

Anything worth- it is not free

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 7:26pm PST 
I love the dog on the home pages vest, 'Ask to pet me I'm friendly' shrug

ETA: GAH!!! Look at this page! http://www.servicedogsamerica.org/certification/index.html

You should not be giving out 'Ask to pet me' patches at all!
Are there any legal grounds to shut down places like this?

Edited by author Tue Jun 2, '09 7:29pm PST

[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 9:40pm PST 
Sadley no, they can only get the people who lie and say there dog is a SD, because when you get your cirtification from them I'm sure you have to agree that you are disablied and that your dog is well behaved and because there are no laws that say you have to prove it it is leagle.frown
[notify]
Mordecai-Ret- ired SD

Missing my SD- friends!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 6:46am PST 
I am the proud owner of a SARA certification. One of the cheaper ones. Still have the "certificates"
[notify]
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 11:38am PST 
I almost bought one of those certification scams too. However, it just seemed too fishy, not requesting any "proof" of training or disability. It's almost as bad as fraudulent trainers who give people dogs saying their SD but don't have any basic manners. I ended up procrastinating it and eventually discovered I didn't need any of it.
[notify]
Roanna

Guide dogs, the- ones others- emulate

Barked: Thu Jun 4, '09 10:19am PST 
Lets see.....is that "another scam"............or "another SCUM"? Hahahahahaha.

In reality, when it comes to fake "certifications", there is no real difference, is there?
[notify]
Mordecai-Ret- ired SD

Missing my SD- friends!

Barked: Thu Jun 4, '09 5:03pm PST 
The only difference is the price.
[notify]
Spike

Don't Berate,- Educate!

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 8:53am PST 
Hmm.... I'd say the difference is when they say they're a registry and don't charge you anything or charge the price of the patch; they say they certify you, charge money, but don't back up certification when it's needed; or say you don't need any certification, put you and your dog through your paces, certify you, and back you up if you ever need help.

I'd say the latter is the most desirable if you really feel you need it. I use the US Service Dog Registery, but more as a form of id if it's ever necessary.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2