GO!

Service Dog for PTSD

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Dragon

Learning is FUN

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 12:29pm PST 
Hello,

A points of concern - Is the human partner of the Psychiatric Service Dog able to provide care needed for the dog? I ask as a friend with bipolar dz, who was doing outstanding, stopped taking his meds then left his 12-year-old cat outside as, "Oh, he'll come back!" That was just a week before he got into a terrible accident... Kitty was never found.

Please - this is not an issue *just* for PTSD or others with brain injury. It is a very important issue for every person with any type of dependent animal!

Can't remember where my teammate read it... "They" are attempting to include some basic service dog requirements of all psych dogs - pick up dropped items, and 3-4 more. Can't remember who the 'they' part were either... Would give more standing for Psych Dogs!

As Always,
Dragon
[notify]
Ghost

You need to- listen when I'm- talking!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 8:51pm PST 
www.soldiersbestfriend.org can help get a dog for a service member with ptsd.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:21pm PST 
You can check out Laughing Eyes Kennels or Paws and Stripes. I believe they are both more low cost program dogs. Training a dog will cost money as well because trainers aren't cheap! I agree with those above would she have any benefit from deep pressure therapy, bracing, etc? Smaller dogs are also more likely to have access issues I'm told because they are smaller.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 2:01pm PST 
The way I understand the law, any animal used for someone's health even if it is the unseen kind must be allowed in a home. in apartments this means, they cannot deny you in a no pet complex, and in pet welcomed complex they cannot charge you a pet deposit as it is not a pet. My self, I have asperger's syndrome, major depression, ptsd and social phobia. I do live with my boyfriend and I just asked my own therapist to write a note for my apartment complex stating that I need the dog for medical purposes and is not considered a pet. I will be getting a boxer mix in about another month from now from a friend of mine that I groom her yorkie puppy for. Oddly enough, myself, I do fine when I am at petsmart or around dogs. I can stay calmer longer before having my meltdown and needing to escape.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 3:18pm PST 
this topic is from 2009?
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 5:57pm PST 
"this topic is from 2009?"

Ah, so lovely to go back in time. 2009 was a good year...laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 1:08pm PST 
I cannot connect to psychdog.org. All I get is one page with no links or entry. I am very interested in this subject, and was disappointed not to be able to access the site.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 7:44pm PST 
Psychdog.org has been down for a while now. If you're looking for information post a new topic and we will assist you as best we can.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2