GO!

Can a dog work from a stroller?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 7:25pm PST 
A lady brought her little dog into my aunt's restaraunt. When told there are no pets allowed, she went off about how they have to let her have the dog because he is a service dog and she even had brochures.

The dog was in a dog stroller....with the netting closed.

Can a service dog work like that? Would the dog be able to alert to medical condition or any other task from that far away and inside a net?

They did not know they could ask what tasks the dog performs for the person.

They left her alone about her dog and let her eat. The dog was quiet in his stroller.

Any ideas about what a service dog could do under these conditions?
[notify]
Brittany

Hello. Allow me- to introduce- myself...

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 7:40pm PST 
I guess if the dog warned about a medical problem by barking. Not sure though, I'm just guessing.
[notify]
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 7:56pm PST 
confused well... I don't want to judge but I do. This sounds surprisingly surprising kitty
Well, people come up with all sorts of stuff..
*sigh*shrug
Thanks for sharing..., sonja
edit - I just pictured Jojo, Zeus or all the big dogs here work out of a stroller laugh out loud

Edited by author Sun Jan 11, '09 7:57pm PST

Tesla

SDIT - Ontario, Canada

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 1:15am PST 
Maybe she would just let it out if it needed to pick things up off the ground for her and such? Or maybe it is just old and cannot walk long distances anymore, so she takes it out of the stroller when she is stopped but leaves it in there for commuting.

I am pretty sure Tesla would think I had gone off my rockers if I tried to roll her around in a stroller, BOL, i am just picturing it now... party
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 7:11am PST 
Theoretically a dog could be working from inside a stroller. Perhaps alerting by barking for example. However, most service dog handlers that I know would not put their dog in a stroller like that because it is not very professional behavior. I do know some small service dogs who are occasionally carried when it is too dangerous for them to walk, and some of these will hang out in a purse under the table of a restaurant when eating so that there is less risk of them getting accidentally stepped on (people look out for purses, they aren't expecting to see dogs). I don't know any that think it is professional to keep their dog in a stroller like this, though. If this happens again, your aunt can ask the two questions:

"a public accommodation may ask: (i) If the animal is required because of a disability; and (ii) what work or tasks the animal has been trained to perform"

http://www.ada.gov/NPRM2008/titleiii.htm
[notify]
Angel Bop

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 7:31pm PST 
We probably shouldn't judge when we have no idea of this person's service dog situation.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 4:57am PST 
I was in my local walmart yesterday and was surprised to see a LARGE sheltie in a stroller. No identification as to whether or not she was a service dog, but the owner was going up to anyone and everyone and asking them if they wanted to pet the dog. The dog WAS quiet and well behaved, but?????
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 7:41am PST 
Toto...That just doesn't sit right. I know I've mellowed quite a bit, but I don't see a legit reason for a med/large dog to be in a stroller (and don't like the idea of a small one, but can be more accepting of it). Combine that with her asking people to pet and that is just wrong. That would trip my faker radar....and tick me off.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 12:45pm PST 
Yeah, Harley... I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled about it, for both reasons!!! The dog weighed at least 35 -40 lbs. My own dog, well behaved as he is, was sitting in the car waiting for me, where he belonged!!!!
And, when the man asked ME if I wanted to pet his dog I admit I answered with, "NO, I am here shopping for food and would rather not handle a dog while I am doing that, it is not terribly legal nor sanitary!!!"
Of course, my dogs HELP me prepare my food and eat off MY dishes, but he didn't have to know that, BOL!
[notify]
Lucy Ribeiro

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 1:12pm PST 
You know I have absolutely always wondered these things. I have seen dogs sitting inside strollers and there enclosed the mesh is completely blacked out and its dark inside and I have wondered wether the dog could see out let alone do something for the handler. I see them on top of walkers and that makes more sense then a dog stroller. I also see them inside peoples purses and they tell me its a Service Dog but once I have asked what is it trained to do for you they begin screaming yelling and saying how I cant ask and I try to show them the laws and explain to them you can ask but they dont respond they just freak out.

I would be suprised if they cannot work from that thing but would think it would slow them down or cause more issues.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2