GO!

The United States Service Dog Registry

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Angel Poana- 5/5/06 - 1/2/13

It's All About- Me!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 1:35pm PST 
Hi all, I received this email from the service dog organization I belong to.

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:12:40 -0500
Subject: Press Release: First Public Service Dog Census Launches: Census Aims to Count Every Service Dog in the US
To: GREATLAKES@...

The following information is forwarded to you by the DBTAC-Great Lakes ADA Center (www.adagreatlakes.org) for your information:

PR WebWire
June 9, 2008
First Public Service Dog Census Launches: Census Aims to Count Every Service Dog in the US

The first public census of Service Dogs officially launches with the goal to count every Service Dog in use in the United States.

I registered my SDIT and, in the course of emails sent back and forth between myself and Marc at The United States Service Dog Registry, I told him I would post the information in this forum for anyone who might be interested.

Chicago, IL (PRWEB) June 9, 2008 -- The first public census of Service Dogs officially launches with the goal to count every Service Dog in use in the United States.

Even during our beta-testing phase we had people registering from New York to California. We've received e-mails from people thanking us for initiating this project. The Census is open to all Service Dogs and their handlers, regardless of certification or training status. Individuals using a Service Dog for any disability covered by the ADA qualify for this count.

The purpose of the Service Dog Census Project is to provide detailed statistical data about the large number of Service Animals currently working in the United States. The data can be used for various positive purposes including advocacy, media references, university studies and public support.
The response has been phenomenal," says Marc Battaglia, Executive Director of the Census. "Even during our beta-testing phase we had people registering from New York to California. We've received e-mails from people thanking us for initiating this project."

For more info:

http://www.censusproject.org
http://www.usservicedogregist ry.org
[notify]
Molly

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 2:25pm PST 
What's weird about it is that for $50 you get an id, certificate, patch, and tag-to "officially" certify your dog. The need for certification goes against ADA law. A real census NEVER would host a website trying to sell things. A census is only supposed to ask questions. This is really suspicious, even if there are press releases about the census floating on the internet. It's actually fairly easy to submit your own press release to PRweb, too.

The "government" website advertises a civilian website too, http://www.reddoggear.com/service/index.html . The designs of usservicedogregistry.org and red dog gear are strikingly similar. This is very wrong.

I also did a domain search of adagreatlakes.org for "service dog", and I found NOTHING mentioned online about usservicedogregistry.org.

I also did a google search of "united states service dog registry" (in quotes) and there were no "government websites" mentioning this "new registry", which is extremely suspicious.

Also, why would a "government census" website be trying to sell you stuff anyways? Also, most "government", if not all "government" website domains end in .gov, not .org. That screams something wrong, too. Although a real census is wonderful, something just seems wrong about it. Not very "government" like if you asked me....shock

There's something fishy going on here........

Edited by author Tue Jun 17, '08 2:44pm PST

[notify]

It's All About- Me!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 4:12pm PST 
You know, Molly, after I signed Poana up I did email them with a complaint because they didn't have an APBT breed selection in their list. I got an email back saying they were making changes to the site, which would be available in "phase 2" Then I wrote back that while their "Archival Documentation Package" looked nice, $50 was an unreasonable amout to ask of someone living on disability. I haven't heard back on that ? yet. I didn't see a claim about certifying your dog, the package is to document registering your dog. I also don't think it's a govt site cause, like you said, it doesn't end in .gov and there's that advertising. I think anyone can use "The United State" in a title or name.

I'm not defending it, just clarifying. I also tried looking for the news release on the Great Lakes ADA center website and didn't find anything. I'm thinking I'm going to email them to see if they did release that info. That is a cool website, though, the ADA site, with lots of information.

I may have leaped before I looked when it came to registering my dog.shock
[notify]

Molly

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 4:26pm PST 
I think it's all a scam, even if it's not a government site. I foolishly expected it to be a govt site because the word census almost always applies to government-organized activities.

Also, I would not disclose information to such a website that asks for information regarding your disability. I think that's quite inconsiderate that somebody thinks they can just profit off of somebody's disability-and also gather information about you.
[notify]

It's All About- Me!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 8:13pm PST 
Well Molly, I may have jumped in before I checked it out, I trust too easily. And when I first read about census I thought it was the government, too, which I wouldn't have liked cause I think the govt has too much information on people. Just my opinion everyone, no need for anyone to get upset. I just still remember reading the book 1984.

All they asked was for my name and address, probably shouldn't have given that, and my dog's name and breed and if she was my first service dog. They didn't ask anything about my disability (as I recall, of course, my memory is pretty bad!) They didn't push me to buy anything. I'll see what happens in the future and keep you all posted. I am going to try to check it out further.
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 9:28pm PST 
I didn't want to register Barkley as most (not all) are IMO a scam, so I just bought a $12 ID card for him that I got to personalize myself!snoopy I belive I got it at easyidcard.com they made it really easy to make it look how you want it!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '08 9:55pm PST 
I wouldn't recommend joining. They say that the information in this registry can be used for Homeland Security. My guess is they might use information in this registry to flag people's records when they travel-- you know, make sure they know who the "crazy" people are type of thing.
[notify]

It's All About- Me!

Barked: Thu Jun 19, '08 1:31pm PST 
Remember I said in my second post that I had emailed Marc, the head of the USSDR, telling him $50 was too much for that registry package? Well, I got an email from him today telling me he was sending me that package for free for being so helpful with my comments and suggestions.
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Thu Jun 19, '08 3:38pm PST 
big laughThat is funny, and ironic.
[notify]
Liberty

Gooby Dog

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 7:32am PST 
Service Dog Organizations should supply an ID once certification has been reached. Colorado Service Dogs dose!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4