GO!

Wording for dog vest/patch to avoid being mistaken for service dog?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sun Jun 1, '08 2:34pm PST 
Hello!
This is not really about service dogs but it is about helping to avoid people mistaking a dog for a service dog!

I have a deaf dog. I want to get him a patch I can put on his harness-vest or backpack to let people know he is deaf. The problem is people seem to misunderstand these type of things and think that the PERSON is deaf and the dog is a service dog! I've heard from a few people who had vests or bandanas for their dogs which said "I'm Deaf" or "Deaf Dog" and people misunderstood and mistook it for a service dog.
So anyway I was just wondering if anyone can help me decide what wording would be best to make it clear that the dog is deaf, he is NOT a service dog?

I was thinking of having the patch say something like, "Deaf Dog - Please Ask Before Petting" or "Ask to Pet Me - I Am Deaf" or something along those lines... I'm just not sure what would sound best and be the most clear. My other thought was something like "My name is Pooch. I am deaf" ?
shrug
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sun Jun 1, '08 2:58pm PST 
www.pupparel.com has some patches for deaf/blind/shy dogs. Click on puppatches, the dogs with disabilities. Theirs says "ask before petting me, I am deaf" but I think your suggestions would work well, too. If you don't care if people pet your dog without asking, I like the "My name is Pooch, I am deaf" one, but if you don't want them to pet, that sounds too inviting I think.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Mon Jun 2, '08 8:02pm PST 
My brother thinks the only way that it would be clear that it is not a service dog is if I put "Dog is Deaf " but I think it is a little odd to have a patch on the dog that talks about him in the third person! My brother also suggested "Pooch is Deaf" or "Deaf Pooch" but I don't know...
[notify]

Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 12:56pm PST 
I think it is perfectly okay to have a patch that says "dog is deaf." Afterall, the patch is not really for the dog, it is for the people who will be reading it. So you want it to be clear to whomever my be reading it. Maybe you can have one that says: "Dog is deaf. Please ask before petting."
[notify]
Chaz

What's Next?

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 8:49am PST 
If you wanted to sound a little friendlier, you could say, "I'm a deaf doggie. Please ask before petting."
[notify]
Hoagie- (Service- Dog)

I like taking- care of my owner

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 9:23am PST 
First, you are showing that you are very loving of your dog and considerate of people who use service dogs.

As a service dog owner, I will say that it is not the patch that would be the problem, it is only when someone tries to take a dog not trained into the public enviroment (where pets are not allowed) when they are not a service dog. You are not trying to do this, you are trying to avoid any misunderstandings, very good.

I want you to know that my dog is a seizure alert dog and mobility assistance dog (multiple disability). When I go through the public, I constantly hear: "look at the seeing eye dog", "see the blind dog," or "look at the dog in training." I even had my eye doctor's nurse at the VA hospital ask me, "can you see at all?"

The point I am trying to make is, no matter what you use, you will probably be asked about it. I see nothing wrong with the Deaf Dog patch, if you want to use it. As long as you don't try to use it as a hearing dog for the deaf. You have a specieal dog their, use it to educate people about deaf dogs, they will be interested. Put your dog through training and bring it to schools and other places to explain that dogs lose hearing, how he copes with it, and also how you do too. See if thier are deaf schools nearby, especially for deaf children who would be fascinated to see your special friend, and would give them motivation. You can turn this problem to help educate others.

Hoagie and his owner.
[notify]
Titus

Fortis et certus

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '08 11:42pm PST 
^What Hoagie's mum or dad said!

I would only add that you could help educate the public about service dogs and the valuable assistance they provide. Perhaps carry a card or something and when you are in public and someone asks about him you could say "oh, no, he is deaf, not a service dogs. Service dogs have to do XYZ tasks blah blah blah" and help them understand access rights and how the dog is working and not just someone's pet.
[notify]
Mira

Drool means I- love you!

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '08 12:32am PST 
I agree with Hoagie, kudos to you for looking into this and trying to make it clear that your dog is not a service dog. You will still get asked though. My dog has a bright red vest with two large patches that say Service Dog and two even bigger patches that say DO NOT PET ME I'M WORKING and SERVICE DOG along the bottom with a big hand and a line through it.... I've had people read the patch out loud and then immediatly pet the dog.... some will respect a patch, many won't, some won't even see it... they just see dog. But the effort will pay off with others. I would defianatly get some sort of patch that says ask before petting especially if you dog may spook if unaware that a petting is forthcoming. Protects you and your dog. Best of luck.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 1:37pm PST 
Hi! I owned a blind miniature schnauzer and he was just phenomenal. No one knew he was blind because I trained him with caution words and with the feel of leash as he was losing his sight. He could maneuver on a dime! I was so very proud of him. The most important thing was keeping him socialized. He loved being outside, riding in the car or going to the park. So we never changed that for him. We did mark him as being blind so that others would take care when they were around him. He has been gone a few years now, but I took the vest I created and patented it for dog parents just like me who want to keep their blind dog safe. Please go to our website to see the vest. www.shongear.com. Click on blind pet. Also we have a facebook where we interact with our customers. www.facebook.com/shongeardesigns
We wish you the best of luck with your heart throb! Drop me a line any time. I would love to share my experiences as a special needs pet "Mom" and hear how you are doing.
Jonni
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 1:41pm PST 
Hi there!
We created vests for pets who have special needs. Blind Pet is one of them. Our website is www.shongear.com We are also owners of blind dogs and we created the vest to promote safety.
email any time or join the conversations on our facebook page!
Kind Regards,
Jonni
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2