GO!

TDI vs. Delta Society vs. TDInc.

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mia Bella

Just a little- girl!

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 10:24am PST 
Can anyone tell me their experiences with these companies? I have finally decided to start actively training Mia to become a certified therapy dog. I've been all talk for about a year now! laugh out loud Mostly I just need to work on getting her used to wheel chairs, walkers, crutches, etc. because she can do everything else no problem.

We do have access to evaluators for all of organizations. The TDI evalutor is about 5 hours away, Delta Society about 1.5 hours, and TDInc. about an hour.

So far after reading all of the information on their different websites I seem to like TDInc. the best but I also like Delta Society a lot.

Can anyone give me some input as to how they like working with each organization?

Thanks!

(P.S. Yes we will be getting her CGC sometime soon after her agility class is over)

Edited by author Thu May 29, '08 10:26am PST

[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 10:54am PST 
Abby just got certified through Therapy Dogs International, Inc. We have our first visit tonight! I like that they provide liability insurance; however, they are pretty strickt on you not being affiliated with any other therapy dog organization.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 11:20am PST 
TDI and TDInc have similar tests. I've taken both tests (Ginger passed both) but we did not become members of either organization. We are members of several local organizations who have their own tests.
The TDInc membership, we did not realize that there was a time limit to do the observed visits (I'm not sure if that was a requirement by TDInc or by the local group who held the test actually) so we waited too long to send in the forms.
With TDI we took the test, passed, got professional photos of Ginger to be used for the ID they give you, and sent in the forms. They sent us a letter back saying that we could not join TDI because we are members of a local group and you cannot be members of any other animal-assisted therapy organization and TDI. It would have been nice to know that before we paid to take the test and had photos taken, but this info was not known to the tester and was not listed on their website or the registration forms.
So we are still not members of any national group. It would have been nice to be because our local groups do not allow the dogs/handlers to do animal-assisted therapy on their own at the hospital of their choice; you have to go to their specific group programs where they have a group of dogs and handlers going to their locations on a certain day of the week. We might take the Delta Society test next assuming they don't have the same type of restrictions as TDI...
[notify]

Mia Bella

Just a little- girl!

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 6:59pm PST 
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences. When I did a search on the forum I read about your experiences with TDI, Ginger. After reading more and more about them I'm considering them less and less...aside from the fact that I would have to drive 4.5-5 hours for the test!! (That would mean either spending the night there the night before or leaving WAY too early in the morning and being super stressed out)

So I really think that we will prob go with Delta Society or TDInc. I like that Delta Society lets you do that "at home" course (b/c the nearest one is 4 hours away). But I like that the T/O for TDInc. is only about an hour away!

Would anyone else be willing to share their experiences? Thanks!
[notify]
Arthur CD RN CGC TDI

Don't Litter - Fix Your- Critter!

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 10:41pm PST 
Me and Windy both haver our TDI certificates, we think it's a great organization! way to go
[notify]
Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy- Dog

Where did mom- go?

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 9:15pm PST 
Joey and I are registered with Delta Society, and we love them. You can buy their training manual and do at home training (like you were saying) and that is helpful. I haven't looked into any other groups but I am very satisfied with Delta and I like their companies objectives towards that animal and human bond. They also work really hard to try and educate and integrate therapy dogs into the handlers local communities. Their test is similar to the CGC so if you pass that than the Delta test should not be that much harder. Hope that helps! Good luck with your training.
[notify]
Koa Leung

Barked: Wed Apr 22, '09 11:26pm PST 
Good evening, this topic GREATLY concerns me, as I have been an active animal assisted therapy dog handler for about 3 years now (although I'm not practicing/volunteering at the moment). Point is animal assisted therapy is a practice that is very near and dear to my heart. I am a passionate advocate of it done correctly, with care, and with utmost responsibility for the safety of clients, patients, and dogs, and it kills me when I see a team that is incompetent.

I have a friend/roommate who shall remain anonymous for the sake of this post. Her dog is certified through the Delta Society, supposedly one of the most "prestigious private organizations that certifies therapy dogs and also actual service dogs. " It costs like $400 to do the certification through them! And what a rip off....

My friend says the test was VERY easy (I'm not sure of the details but it doesn't sound like they did much of a temperament test. It was more like sit, down and stay and that's it! Take even the most hyper out of control dog for a 4 hour hike before the test and I think even it would have passed!).. as the dog in question has since being certified, growled at me when I put my face near him on more than one occasion, been aggressive toward the maintenance person in our house (lunging, barking, teeth bared), has been dog aggressive on many occasions (protecting his guardian's partner who i would call his secondary guardian.. this is new it started happening when he reached 2 years old- the result of an adolescent who has NOT been taught his place in the pack) when encountering other dogs on walks and hikes, and resource guarded against my dogs (we recently moved in together). What irks me further is that their previous roommates had reported that the dog had growled at them too, before or around the time he was certified as a therapy dog.

Although I STILL can't quite wrap my head around why the guardian (my friend and roommate) did not seek out a professional trainer regarding both their dogs (lack of) training before we moved in together (I raised a big stink about it and gave them a lot of pointers and to their credit, they are doing well and are stepping up to the plate regarding discipline and boundaries and their dogs are both improving -- But that doesn't detract from the fact that Delta Society is HIGHLY at fault for certifying this handler and dog team, inherently stating that they were competent and qualified enough to be doing animal assisted therapy when the dog is clearly unbalanced. ARE CLIENTS POTENTIALLY IN DANGER? I think so. IS THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF ANIMAL ASSISTED THERAPY DOG TEAMS AT RISK FOR HAVING THE PRACTICE TARNISHED / BANNED AT WORSE? I THINK SO, if this is Delta Society's standard of practice!!!!! To them, obviously it was all about the money.

I had both of my dogs certified through the Humane Society of Boulder Valley. The test they use is the CGC for discipline (10 parts) in addition to a 10 part temperament test. The dog must pass all 20 exercises. The program and certification through them is either free or nearly free. The first time I took the test with my first dog, we failed (as I'm pretty sure all 5 other teams in our group did, based on the humans' facial expressions leaving the training facility). The head testing person states that only 20% of dogs pass the test their first time taking it. The one exercise my dog didn't meet standards on was the "allowing a stranger to hug him" (he did not growl like my roommate's dog did) but he did squirm away and jump up and push the handler away with his paw. I spent the next YEAR asking qualified strangers at doggie bakeries and the like to hug my dog while I praised and treated him and the next year, we were prepared. I had since gotten a second dog who passed with flying colors as did my first. It actually took awareness and ACTUAL training and ACTUAL temperament conditioning, which I am lead to believe Delta Society does not require!

The ridiculous part is that my friend and her dog went to Boulder Humane Society in hopes of acquiring certification through them too since it was free and the folks over there were like "oh well waive your test requirements because you're already certified through Delta and WOW you must be REALLY GOOD to have a Delta Dog Society certification!!

If only they knew.

Edited by author Wed Mar 17, '10 5:25pm PST

[notify]
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 5:06am PST 
Cassie and I are with Delta Society and I found their test to be good and well balanced, we took tests with our local HUmane Society years ago too. I've been really impressed with Delta so far and just for a note, I have friends who just changed from TDI to Delta because they got their dog crisis response certified and TDI told them that they had to chose one or the other and couldn't continue their registration with TDI and have the crisis response one also. Thought it was interesting. Hope you enjoy doing animal assisted therapy.
[notify]
Mordecai-Ret- ired SD

Missing my SD- friends!

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 6:11am PST 
Before Mordecai was an SD, I was training him to be a TD with Delta. The book was about $30, test cost $15, had to get a fecal check-don't remember how much, and registration with Delta was $40 or something. So about $100 all together. If someone had to pay $400, they must have been way overcharged for something.
[notify]
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 9:04am PST 
True Mordiaci (sorry sp), we did have to have a vet check (but I just took it to my vet and they filled it out based on the last exam because the exam had to be within 6 months of the test date), and the testing for us was free and I borrowed a friend's book as I've already taken the classes etc before. So depending on the situation it can be more than the $75 basic two year registration but shouldn't be more than $150 after the book and all. Well, there are levels that get you more "stuff" but you don't have to go that route.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3