GO!

Service Animal Registry of America (SARA)

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Rosie

Always happy

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '07 3:50pm PST 
Has anyone used this site to register their dog? They don't answer emails. What registry do you recommend? I know it's not required but my disability is not visible so I feel I should get a badge and register.
[notify]
Nolte (Retired Guide Dog)

Guide dog work- is a joyous- thing!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '07 8:49pm PST 
I personally feel this organization is crap. It's just one more "organization" thrown together to make bucks off SD handlers. Sites like this are a dime a dozen.

We are not legally obligated to "prove" our dogs are Service Animals, and organizations like SARA try to make it appear it's "easier" to have certification and ID, since, as quoted on their site, "Most entities are ignorant of this and try to prevent access without service animal ID."

The majority of SD handlers I've met thru the years are quite comfortable with our rights under the ADA and when the "uninformed" try to insist on proof we stand up for our rights and attempt to educate rather then allow such people to think they have the right to insist on "proof".

It's my feeling that the more people choose to give in and show ID rather then stick by their rights under the ADA, the more often we'll see businesses INSISTING on proof from handlers that their dogs are legit SDs... thus the more we'll see these bogus "certification" sites popping up all over the net just to make bucks.

A large number of disabilities are invisible... having a disability that isn't obvious shouldn't make you feel you need some piece of paper or whatever to "prove" you're disabled and that your dog is legit. Believe me, even being sight impaired and having my guide dog adorned in his harness from a legitimate guide dog training school isn't fool-proof... hehe... fool meaning those idiot business owners, managers, employees out there who haven't a clue, and try to insist that I "prove" Nolte is a legitimate SD.

Der... sometimes when a Wal-Mart greeter says, "Is that an eye-seeing dog?" I wanna say, "Yes, and I think maybe YOU might benefit from such a dog, you seem to have a vision impairment."

Anyway, there's my two cents (or maybe it's more like a couple bucks! lol)

Karen Ann & Kanine Krew
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '07 9:01pm PST 
Hi again... I just checked out your Dogster page and read about your little Rosie. I see she's wearing a Therapy Dog vest in the pic and that her bio states she is in fact a Therapy Dog and also that she is currently getting her SD certification.

What tasks does Rosie perform for you as a SD? How did you come to decide she'd be a good SD and what training has she had thus far? I'm asking out of curiosity since she's so young and it's rare that a dog so young be a full-fledged SD. Training usually doesn't even begin until a dog is at least a year old. If you're not comfortable answering, I understand.

Karen Ann & Kanine Krew
[notify]

Rosie

Always happy

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 5:52am PST 
Rosie has passed the Canine Good Citizen and the Service Dog Public Access test. I have a neurological problem that is quite serious and she is trained to assist me for that. I have a VA disability rating of 40%. I have trained and worked with Rosie for almost 2 years. She has been a therapy dog for Delta Society and Love on a Leash for over a year. It is difficult to have her trained for both but I am a good trainer and did it all myself except of course the testing was done by professionals. I am planning an air trip and would feel more confident with an ID badge as I am not visibly disabled and often am totally functional but then 1/4 to 1/2 the time am totally dependent on Rosie.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 7:21am PST 
That's wonderful! What a good girl Rosie is. Thanks so much for replying... I didn't mean to pry, I've just never known a little one like Rosie to be trained so young. Bless her heart, I'm sure she's brought tons of cheerful smiles to the lives of those she's touched as a Therapy Dog, and now she's got her career as a SD as her mission in life. Kudos to both of you for working so hard... and so well... together.

Karen Ann & Kanine Krew
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 9:23am PST 
I agree with Nolte!

Why don't you ask the people who gave you the public access test to certify your dog if you really want to be certified? That is what I did, I asked my trainer who gave Sabrina her test if she could write something up saying that she certifies Sabrina is a service dog.

You can get the equivilant of SARA registration by going to kinkos-- they are just an ID manufacturing place and the ID holds absolutely no weight behind it. If you want to be certified, find a trainer or someone else in person who will do it.

That said, I do not believe in showing ID to everyone that asks since it is not required by federal law-- it sets the gatekeeper up to expect the next person with a service dog to also have ID which they might not have. I chose to be certified because it was a personal goal for me, not becuase I thought it would make access any easier.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:02pm PST 
I have a question...

You say "1/4 to 1/2 the time am totally dependent on Rosie." Are you disabled under the ADA? That's all that matters.

If so, keep your money. Print your own certification and buy a patch on-line. If not...shrug

ETA: Even if you are disabled under the ADA, your dog must be task trained to mitigate your disability to qualify as a service dog. If worse came to worse, you could always say Rosie was an Emotional Support Animal and she could fly in the cabin with you under that law.

Edited by author Mon Sep 17, '07 3:09pm PST

[notify]
PITA ~ CGC- Award

They call me Mr.- Pillow(but I'm a- lady)

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:06pm PST 
Allow us to give you the short version of these bogus registries. I have a non obvious disability as well and my dog was certified by the state of California as an Assistance Animal. Pita owns a cape and all that but doesnt use it. On the rare occasions that I do, it is when I am at an airport etc so that I don't get stopped one hundred and five thousand times. Pita has a brass tag on her leash that says she is a Service Dog. I flash that and off we go. Also, if you go to the site: www.sitstay.com you will be able for VERY CHEAP pick up a pack of cards that are wallet sized that give the essential facts that you have a service dog, what the basic laws are and an 800 number to the ADA. I hand those out like candy when confronted and inform them that now that they have been educated, the next time I will have a cop here for your $1500 fine, a lawyer for your civil law suit and the FEDS for your federal discrimination law suit. And walk away. I have in over 200 confrontations had to show the card once and they backed off. Interestingly enough it was at a Federal Government building. You would think that THEY above everyone else would be hip to the laws. I have a page called WATCHDOG on our foundation page: www.pitafoundation.org Feel free to cruise through that, get educated and if you have a beef with a company, store, etc., let us know and we will be pleased as punch to add them to our list of places that discriminate. I have found that Exposing them is the best remedy for their arrogance! Best to you....Bob & Pita
[notify]
Lily CGC

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 5:45pm PST 
If you want an ID you can make one yourself. I used a photo program to create some. Check out Ryker's page for a pic of his. I printed them out on photo paper and glued a law card on the back that refered to the status of the dogs. One made especially for SDIT cards and another for the SD. Then I took all the IDs to staples and had them laminated in luggage tags. They look very nice and official. They only cost me $1 ea to laminate. I made 5 IDs total for our group.
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 6:21pm PST 
There you go - SD status compliments of Staples!

Too bad it isn't this easy to make our own passports! Or... $100 bills.laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3