GO!

Odd Advice from vet?

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 2:59pm PST 
Or maybe not. Sabs had a check up today. She has lost a bit of weight, but seems in good shape. Her chest and heart sound good. She has no reflex left in one leg and the other one is minimal. She has a strange lump on her face but it doesn't seem painful and isn't attached to bone or muscle, so the decision was to leave it be for now. Her eyes are fine, and the vet commented that she has great teeth for a dog that's nearing 12.
Anyway, the vet commented that at this point it may come down to how much I can take, not how long Sabs can hold out. She was very thorough and very nice, not Sabs usual vet and honestly I was more comfortable with her. But I thought that comment was strange. She went on to say that my stress levels affect Sabi and it isn't going to help either of us if I am too emotional to enjoy her company any more. She definitely has a point, and I appreciate her candor, I just didn't expect that. Does it seem odd, or am I just so used to people being not nice that it seems odd when they are?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 3:08pm PST 
Sabs, I have noticed that some of our newer vets, especially the women, DO have more of a heart and also more knowledge that it isn't just about the dog's physical stats! I like it, I think?

Not the same, but not totally different... my Frenchie Jones needed his eye removed this past Spring. I was moaning about the cost and refusing pre-surgery blood work due to cost, (he's almost 10) and told her I really couldn't afford ANY of it but I would somehow, someway come up with the payment for the removal.
A bit later she called me and asked if I would consider neutering him... she immediately jumped in stating she was not pushing neutering, felt breeders knew enough to make their own decisions, etc., but she felt she could save me some money.
I agreed. Due to that neutering (in the computer at $108 for his weight), and adding the eye removal as an extra surgery at $40 per minute and doing the bloodwork with a senior discount she got the entire process down to under $400 instead of the $950 WITHOUT bloodwork that it was listed at thru the computer billing.
She had a heart and she understood where I was at AND she was still concerned about the dog. Most of the other vets in that practice would have just said either his eye comes out or he dies.

Edited by author Sat Aug 31, '13 3:19pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 5:00pm PST 
Toto, that's amazing! I think some vets forget that dogs live with people, and sometimes people have constraints on time, money, etc. I haven't ever met an animal lover who says 'No, I don't want to spend money on my beloved pet' or 'No, I'd rather spend my time watching TV' but we have jobs, bills, commitments, kids and a million other things.
I love Sabi but the emotional toll of watching her get weaker by the day is terrible. This is the first vet we've seen who recognized that I am suffering from this as well. Usually they are pumping me for more tests, more money and more meds. I was shocked at a vet who said do nothing, treat nothing and enjoy what you have left, but remember this is as hard on you as it is her. The way this is going, Sabi is going to be here for a while yet. That makes me happy but it also means I could be watching this for a very long time.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 6:24pm PST 
The vet's at the surgery I use are always very accommodating and understanding too. Like Toto, I've had our most recent vet help cut down on costs and she has never lectured me on anything. She even understood my stance on vaccinations and has never pushed them on me.

I understand what your vet meant by saying what she did, but for me personally it will only ever be when my dog's have had enough that I make that difficult decision cry I still naively hope I never will have to make it!

Gentle hug's for Sabi.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 9:00pm PST 
I'm so glad you were lucky enough to cross paths with a vet who really cares. We have been blessed with one of those for the past 16 years. I absolutely love him and his way of dealing not only with Mika & Kai but the way he dealt with Mattie and us as well. In the last few years he has also added younger vets doing their clinical training to his staff that have the same attitude. I think it's wonderful when you find someone who not only treats your pet as a chart with medical problems but as a beloved family member and recognizes that their health or lack of it affects more than just the patient. I'm glad that you have found an ally who will help you in dealing with Sabi's issues and your own struggle with them. I don't see it as odd but do see it as a real blessing for both you and Sabi.hughughughughug
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sat Aug 31, '13 10:23pm PST 
Missy I have said all along that I would hold on as long as she stayed happy and a least moderately mobile. As long as she is eating and playing, she's happy.
What the vet was reminding me of was the personal toll an extended illness can take. Not just financially but mentally and emotionally. It's recognized with our human families but I have seen few vets mention it. I'm always sad, I get nervous at work wondering if she's ok, I don't sleep well because I'm worried. I have become withdraw, cranky and depressed. All of this of course transmits to Sabs who in turn worries and stresses about me, which upsets me further. So in the end it may very well boil down to how much I can take, not how long Sabi holds on. A neighbor told me a few weeks back that for both my sake and Sabi's, I needed to just let go. She's right of course but selfishly I find myself holding on with every thing I've got.
M&K hug I miss Sabs old vet. He was a jewel. He was Freeways vet as well, and his compassion and love for his patients was unbelievable. He loved Sabi and she loved him. I always said I had the only dogs who got excited about a trip to the vets. I wish he hadn't retired, I could use someone who's guidance I trust right now.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Sep 1, '13 11:45am PST 
Sabi...

I would far rather have this vet you speak of than a zillion "all clinical" ones.

She is being gentle... sane.... honest.. and she cares.

What she says is said from the heart....

Stick with her.... because when THE time does come.. I know who I would rather be with and trust......

hughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Sep 1, '13 4:07pm PST 
Flicka hughug

Right you are as always.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Sep 1, '13 9:37pm PST 
hughughughughughughug

I am one of the lucky ones... I have for the past 7 years had a vet who CARES.

He is a big bluff man... doesnt take cwap.. but goes well off the scales on compassion.We dont agree on some things.. but its stated in a sane way.. and left at that. I choose my battles with him.. and he with me...

Recently he had mega major surgery.. the culmination of some other surgery that went wrong last year. I dont "do" prayers.. but I got through a heck of a lot of candles that week !!

As long as I live with 100 miles of his place... he will be my vet.

Letting go is the hardest thing you ever do.. but... have a party.. CELEBRATE the LIFE... and you may be surprised how much longer the road is once you do let go.

hughughughughughughughughughug

Edited by author Sun Sep 1, '13 9:39pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 4:37pm PST 
hughughug Sabi

Bunny's vet and I clash often , but the last time we were there, she figured out how to get me his antibiotics and pain meds cheaper, and we both agree that he is not a good patientconfused We may disagree philosophically regarding vaccines, ect, but I think we both think the same way regarding any illnesses he may have smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2