GO!

So Angry!

Share advice for keeping your aging dog happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 4:53am PST 
Chance, that is exactly what happened with Darrell... this was a new vet, and also not previously known to me. I honestly believe she was thinking out loud, but to a person who only had this dog and was grasping at straws, it would have sounded like these were legitimate options that "might" offer a cure for Darrell.
I mentioned the negatives about her plan, and she readily agreed with me that letting him go was the best option and was pretty sure he couldn't survive the neuter, but I still worried about what a novice dog owner faced with his illness might have done.
In my case, yes, the expense was an issue as well (although, if there WERE real hope I would have found the money), but to me, it could have had someone not only prolonging his suffering, but also worrying about whether they had done all they could for their dog, if the expense was a major issue.
By contrast, when I lost Lola earlier in the month the older, more experienced vets had no problem telling me that there was no hope for any improvement in her condition. I admit, it DID make my decision much easier to come to terms with.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 5:47am PST 
Toto-hughug to you for both of your losses. I know that in your experience it was the best thing for both Lola and Darrell not to prolong their suffering but know as well that choice is never an easy one.

Sabi- There comes a time when enough is enough. Sabi has been through enough already and has had a full and wonderful life with you. I know you wish she could outlive you, I have been there. Let her enjoy the time she has left and enjoy it with her. Let her have fun, eat what has been forbidden, play what she wants when she is able and enjoy it with her. You both deserve all the fun and happiness you can have right now. I would have told the vet that the DM might not be progressing fast enough for her but it was more than fast enough for you and Sabs and might have told her where she could put her opinion and her testing.hughughughugwisheswisheswisheswishes She doesn't know Sabi's fighting spirit either, you do.flowers
[notify]
Hanna Belle

I'm a lovebug!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 7:32am PST 
At this age, quality of life is important. Sometimes the vets talk us into more tests, more surgery, etc. and it just causes pain & distress for the dog. I think lots of love and hugs are the best medicine in this case. Just my opinion!
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 1:01pm PST 
Toto, I may have committed murder! Neuter? Really?
It's so tempting, when you think someone is offering you an option. I have to really focus on the fact that she's just an old dog. We want so desperately to hang on to them and along comes this vet offering 'the keys to the kingdom'. It's just so hard.
I was pretty stuck on the not quickly enough comment, but I guess from her perspective it's a research thing. She isn't taking into account though that I have no evidence Sabi IS a German Shepherd, we just assume she is. For all I know she inherited this from her Golden Retriever uncle.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 3:37pm PST 
Toto, what happened to Daryl and Lola? I guess I haven't been around in a while. frown

Sabs, I guess some vets think they're doing their patients a huge favor by putting them through all those tests and treatments, but in the end, it really is a disservice to patient and owner more than anything.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 12:58pm PST 
hi Yoshi's owner mom/dad- my name is Lydia, live in nyc,ny and I agree 100% that these vets want to push all these tests on our old dogs and stress on us. its not eethical. andI had a expensive blood tests 150.00,

lashas are very costly because they must be groomed 2xs a year, best shampoos,food, he had a mct gd2 in 2009 and I took a chance and had it removed,so I guess he had few extra xmases with me. I found him abandoned in a dirty lot took him yearly exam. lashas are very aggressive.

I gave him tough love and now that hes old he is finally loving to me. nobody and I mean nobody could have put up with him- if he was not found by me that day he would be gone immediately in the cacc-ny. the vet wants me to have a ACTH stim.test done n him 250.00. Can anybody email me on thvery dog is predeposed foe medical issues. HELP,HELP,need advise asap. lasha 99% die from kidney problems. I do not think its cushings or/addisons? email me here or at lydiaprincipio@yahoo.com thanks.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 3:42pm PST 
Lidia, I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you, but I just wanted to tell you that my aunt who passed away in 2002 had the same name as you. XD
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2